Thanksgiving I - 1



Thanksgiving



Cast:
Louise, 50
Robert, 30 her oldest son
John, 27, his full brother
Theresa, 25, half African-American
Ginnie: Theresa’s sister
Martin, 21, from Louise’s third marriage.
Anne, 19, father unknown
Georg 42, an Austrian

Time: 1985
Set: the large living room of what began as a mobile home, front door on the left, dining room at the back with entrances to bedrooms that have been added on. Living room area near front stage . Décor should be tacky Early American with a lot of hand-made New England kitsch articles placed about.


Act One
Scene One

Arrivals

Thursday, one p.m.

Louise: Anne! Anne! Come out here and help me set the table. They’re all gonna be arriving any minute, now. (Murmur off). Anne! Did you hear me talking, girl?

Anne: (off) I said I’ll be out I a minute! The turkey….

Louise: That turkey’s doing fine as he is. (doorbell) See, what did I tell you? They’re here already. (Hollers). Come on in, it’s open. (enter Ginnie) Why Ginnie, how lovely you look! And you’re even punctual. (A kiss and a hug, restrained on Ginnie’s part. Where’s Tom, didn’t you bring him?

Ginnie: (evasive, an obvious lie.) I had to leave him home. He’s got the croup.

Louise: You could have brought him anyway. God knows I nursed you all through the croup often enough. Did you take him to the doctor’s?

Ginnie: Yes, I took him to the doctor’s. He was just too cranky, and I didn’t want the others to catch it, ok?

Louise: (sudden suspicion) You sure it’s the croup?

Ginnie: The doctor said it was the croup. You want a written diagnosis? And speaking of doctors, what was the latest on your condition?

Louise: well they say I’ll hold up a little longer, at least. (laughs) We better wait on the details till the others get here or I’ll be repeating and boring myself to death. Come to think of it, I wonder if anybody ever has?

Ginnie: Not to my knowledge, and in our family, it seems to be a rather remote possibility. We all have too much excitement for my taste. (pause) Are they all really coming?

Louise: Yes, and for me it’s like a dream come true! You’ve all been scattered to the four winds for so long, Anne in that Mali, Rob in Vienna, and the rest of you so many states away that visiting requires the planning of a major campaign.. But finally I’m going to have all my children under one roof for four whole days, and see you all together just once before I die.

Ginnie: (to herself) I have the feeling that won’t be as soon as you think. (louder) Just remember what you promised: no feeding time at the zoo stuff.

Louise: (miffed) I don’t know where you get off talking to me like that! You seem to forget we’re all adults here. (G. opens her mouth, thinks better of it and shuts it.) Listen, go see what’s keeping your sister Anne, will you? (exit Ginnie. Doorbell.) Now who will that be? (L. goes to the door and opens it. Enter John.) Well, my goodness! John, I was so hoping you wouldn’t stand us up, dear. (tries to hug him, but he evades her.)

John: I didn’t want to come, actually, but then I heard that Rob was coming, and I need to have a talk with him. Is he here yet?

Louise: (hurt) No. Have the rest of us become your doormat, or what? (pulls in with an effort.) Well, whatever the reason, I am happy to see you, you know. I don’t suppose you brought Marge and Kevin with you?

John: They didn’t want to come. And I want to talk with Rob alone. I have heard something that could have terrible consequences… I want to clear that up with him and then I’ll be off.

Louise: We’ll have to wait and see, I guess. I am not sure what the connections are like out of Logan. And then again, he’s never been dependable. Since he’s been living in Vienna, he’s worse than ever. Oh, I know him so well. Listen if he doesn’t show up before tomorrow, you’re welcome to spend the night.

John: Did he specifically say he’s coming tomorrow?

Louise: No, but….

John: Then he’ll be in today. He told me so.

Louise: You talked to him? He only wrote me a note.

John: Maybe he thought phoning was superfluous, since you know him so well.

Louise: Don’t you get sarcastic with me, John! I’m still your mother, and I’m not well. I… (doorbell) Oh Lord, that’ll either be Theresa or Martin. Look, just don’t stand there. Take off your coat, or something. And why not look into the kitchen? Tell Ginnie and Anne to stop jawing and get themselves out here. (exit John. Louise goes to the door and opens.) Martin! (Enter Martin. They embrace warmly.) Welcome home, dear. So glad you could tear yourself away from your harem. (they laugh)

Martin: Hiya! You’re looking pretty chipper! Am I the last of the gang?

Louise: No, Theresa and Robert are due any minute. I hope.

John: (re-entering) Ginnie and Anne said they’d be right out. Sounds like they were laying out a war strategy in there.

Louise: (incredulous) WHAT?

John: Who gets the dark meat, who gets the light meat…

Louise: Very funny. You….

John: I meant the turkey, Louise. You getting sensitive in your old age?

Louise: (forced) No, I’m just on edge.

John: (spotting Martin) Oh, hello, Marty….

Martin: Hello yourself. Nobody ever calls me that, you know, but you can if you want, I guess…

Louise: Listen, you guys, I know you’ve hardly ever had a chance to get acquainted, but it would please me no end if you’d both make an effort, since you’re finally together, here.

(spots up)

John and Martin together:

Oh boy! What does she expect, miracles? I hardly know him! Twice seen in a lifetime for two hours is nothing at all. He’s a stranger to me. I only came to see Robbie/Terry.

(spots down)
(doorbell)

Louise: (nervous) Which of them will that be? Ginnie! Anne! Come out here and greet your brothers! (Opens.) Theresa.

Terry: Well, I made it. Hope you’re happy. Is the clan gathered?

Louise: Of course I’m happy to see you, dear. Everyone’s here except for Robert.

Terry: I can’t wait to see him. (evades her) Hello, John. Long time no hear. Martin! I thought you had duty this weekend.

Martin: (embraces her) My curiosity got the better of me. I can play fireman some other time. Besides, I heard there were brush fire warnings up this way.

John: Terry….

Terry: Forget it, John, it’s water under the bridge.

Louise: Theresa, where are the girls?

Terry: I didn’t bring them. I thought we’d make this an adult reunion. You do remember what I told you….

Louise: Well who the hell is taking care of them?

(Ginnie and Anne enter)

G & A: Lions and tigers and bears, oh my! (they giggle)

Terry: I left them with Mark’s sister.

Louise: You still got him up on a pedestal, girl? No sign of tarnish on that halo yet?

Terry: Hold it right there, lady. Remember what you promised. No attacking, no unnecessary criticism. Any more out of you like that and I’m out the door.

Martin: (a plea) Terry…

Ginnie: (to Anne) We’d better set the table. Sounds like it’s getting on to feeding time….

Louise: (with an effort) None of you thought to bring your children. Do you consider me such an ogre? I’m a grandmother several times over, and you, Theresa, won’t even let me see your girls. It’s, well, it’s just insulting, is what it is.

John: Marge didn’t want to come.

Louise: That I can understand only too well.

Anne: Michael couldn’t afford to send us all over from Mali.

John: Mali? Where in the world is that?

Anne: (contempt) Africa.

John: (puzzled) What’s all this? You on a back-to-the-roots kick?

Anne: Later.

Louise: I said I understand most of you.

Terry: Leave it, gang. She does not mean you in the plural, but you as in me.

Martin: (upset). Why do you always go after Terry like that Ma? She’s always had it the roughest.

Louise: And fell butter-side-up, didn’t she. Profiting from that smut she wrote.

Terry: All right, I’m out the door.

Louise: You always were very good a running away, dear. (Terry re-considers, sits.) You said you’d come. You have. I’m glad.

Terry: It doesn’t feel like such a warm welcome, if you don’t mind my saying so.

Louise: If that’s how you feel, I’m sorry, dear. (pious) I’ve always wamted my children to be happy and to confide in me.

Anne: Huh!

Louise: (turning) Well I wanted to see my grand-children. Is that so unnatural? My feelings are hurt. And in my condition…

Terry: We know all about the state you’re in.

Louise: (threatening) Say what?

Terry: You’re as healthy as a horse.

Ginnie: Terry! Can’t you ever leave well enough alone?

Terry: This is just between us, Ginnie.

Louise: What do you expect of me, Theresa?

Terry: Only that you hold to the promise that you made.

Louise: Look, I… (doorbell) Oh Jesus, that can only be Rob. (Anne goes into the kitchen.)

John: Finally!

Martin: Why you all make such a fuss about him, I’ll never understand.

Louise: (at the door) Robert! You made it, dear. (polite kisses on both sides)

Rob: Yup! (surveys the room) Oh, am I the last? I hope I haven’t held you all up. The limousine took ages. What smells so good?

John: The turkey. Hello, Rob.

Rob: John. (they embrace embarrassedly.) You’re looking good. I was hoping that you’d come.

John: I need to talk with you, Rob.

Rob: We will, but later. We’ve got plenty of time, ok? Martin, is that really you? Last time we were together you looked like a Biafra baby without the stomach. It’s good to see you’ve really filled out. Boy, do you take after Mom’s side of the family. Unbelievable.

Martin: Well what do you know. I’m surprised that you ever even noticed me.

Rob: (somewhat hurt.) Did it look like that to you? I’m sorry. (gives M. his hand) Want to try for a re-acquaintance?

Martin: (letting go) We’ll see.

Louise: You see? This is what I’d been hoping that today would be like.

Terry: Aren’t you going to say hello to your big sister?

Rob: You betcha! Hey, you look even better than the night we went to the opera! (They embrace and kiss fondly.)

Louise: What’s this about an opera?!? When did you two ever go to an opera?

Terry: (offhand) it was in Vienna, mother. (to Rob) Wasn’t that an amazing evening? Remember how I tripped and nearly fell down that staircase? And that champagne bar! But I still say it was the blood-thirstiest thing I’ve ever seen.

Rob: And I still say that Turandot is fun for beginners. It’s impossible to fall asleep while watching it.

Louise: (too quiet) When were you in Vienna, Theresa?

Terry: Last Spring, Mother. You were too busy to see me, remember?

Louise: And you didn’t even tell me, Robert?

Rob: Should I have? It’s her life. After all, she’s attractive, chocolate, and over twenty-one, right?

Terry: (puches his arm, laughs) You clown!

Ginnie: (to Louise) I knew. I took care of the girls for two weeks.

Louise: So you were in it together. I shudder to think of the other things I don’t know about.

Terry: It did me good. I needed a sympathetic ear. Yours seemed to be blocked.

Louise: This is getting better and better.

Rob: You’ll have to admit you weren’t of much help to her at the time, Mom.

Anne: (re-entering) Watch your mouth, Rob. You’re very good at forming opinions after listening to only one side.

Louise: (tentative) Rob….

Rob: Anne! Jesus, you grew up!

Anne: Did you doubt I would?

Louise: Ummm…. Robert….

Rob: Of course I didn’t. People stay fixed in your memory as you last saw them, is all. It takes re-adjustment. Now what was that about sides?

Louise: (breaking in, nervous) Look, we can straighten this out later. The turkey….

Rob: What, an after-dinner free-for-all? Uh-uh. We’ll just let it go.

Anne: Well, we’ll see.

Rob: And I’ll reserve the right to my misconceptions. Oh, by the way, I’ve got somebody with me. Hope you don’t mind, Mom.

Louise: (hopeful) A woman? You finally going to get married?

Terry: (a warning) Rob….

Rob: Hush.

Terry: I don’t think that…

Rob: That’s good, Sis. People who don’t think remain attractive longer.

Louise: Well, where is she? Are you getting married, or what?

Rob: More like: or what. (goes to the door, calls out) Come on in, the water’s fine! (to Louise). You always said that if something like this happens to come to you first.

Louise: (a light dawning) Heyyyy, what is all this?

Rob: Mother, I’d like you to meet Georg. (Georg enters, Rob puts his arm about him possessively.) You needn’t bother with the German pronunciation. Just call him George. (Louise sits suddenly, the others are speechless for the moment.)

Georg: (a mischievous grin, a half-bow) How do you do? Terry! It is good to see you again..

Terry: (Breaks the silence with a long laugh) Hello, George. (to Rob) I always wondered how you’d do something like this, but you’ve surprised me, as usual. You take the cake! (They laugh, then embrace.)

Ginnie: (with a little shake) I guess I better set another place at the table. (John, cut to the quick, turns his back to the others, shaken. Martin grins. Anne glowers.)

Louise: (dazed) I guess I knew this was coming.

Anne: (furious) FEEDING TIME!


Blackout





Graz, May-December, 1989

all rights reserved

0 Responses to "Thanksgiving I - 1"