Living the Lie

for Mr. Craig---and I wouldn't have believed it necessary to publish this after two decades...


Comes a time when one needs must be married,
For that is society's rule.
But for people like us, it's a falsehood,
Although we are nobody's fool.
We are pros when it comes to acting
As though we fit into that role
Which the straight world deigns to bequeath us.
We fake it, and find it all droll
It is not any life I would ask for.
But why must I listen to you?
You tell me I must lead a life which
For me, is all false and untrue.
I don't give a shit for pretension.
But I have to live on this earth.
So I've played your game,
And have felt quite ashamed,
That these lies have diminished self-worth.

And in circles where one must make progress,
We tend to then find some poor girl
Who is blind to our true inclinations---
We thus gain the key to your world.
It is hard to maintain such relations.
(It is preferable to be on one's own)
For sooner or later they notice
No passion between us has grown.
But what do you know of such matters?
For you it is all in the game.
At least they can give you some pleasure?
I'm sorry I can't say the same.
I have tried my best to live up to
What you all so cruelly demand.
I'm tired of this game,
It's ugly, gives pain.
I'd rather be free with some man.

And I think it is right to inform you
We're not what you make us to be.
We don't have to seduce anybody,
For plenty of men are like me....
There are men who still live outside of
Your tight-assed society's rules.
Their extremeness is what your're afraid of.
Think! Everywhere one can find fools.
Yet most of us manage to love where
Our hearts and our minds tell us to.
So don't talk to me of perversion!
Who knows what you one day might do?
Yet predjudiced people will hate us,
When they see we are not like you,
or we play our own game,
Still in bed, all's the same.
So from now on I'll make my own rules!

0 Responses to "Living the Lie"