Since I can't wait... and a REAL Gollum is back...

To see when Savonarola was tortured and burned at the stake... I Googled.

Yeah the Borgias again.

In the latest installment, the Pope wanted to have him be called heretic, and burned at the stake...for political gain and defense of the system. So that the French wouldn't invade Italy, which was a mess of fiefdoms and city-states, whose rulers' status and vindication was dependent on the Pope of Rome. And they weren't above crawling to heinous crimes to protect their power. The Mafia would pale in comparison.

The series begins in 1492 with the rise of the first Borgia Pope. The very dangerous Savonarola died in 1498. This is a good thing, Becazuse the guy who does that cleric creeps me totally so I get to see a real villian.

Except there is a problem. Savonarola was one of the most disgustingly violent and destructive priests ever known. And what was at the bottom of the report? Pope Johnn Paul II initiated proceedings to promote that baseless scum to sainthood.

I am often surprised by what they do, but that left me spitless.

Crap.

0 Responses to "Since I can't wait... and a REAL Gollum is back..."