DVD review. High School Musical

I just do not know, hey.

I wanted something mindless to cheer me up, so of course you turn to Disney.....

Some people here don't think too highly of their products. One Easter, I had this dysfunctional family living across from me, and the lady, a religion teacher, had her kids over for the weekend.

I brought over the two Disney videos I had to distract them, since they were hyperactive. (So the 'grown-up' could talk, you know...) One of them was Bambi. The other was Fantasia, and didn't we love that, huh? As an aside, my former boss used to go off the charts for what an experience that was when it first came out. He was an usher. People were so unused to color and stereophonic sound, they had to have nurses on hand because it made some people ill.

That is not a joke, that is how he remembered it from 1939. Whatever, the mother went off the charts for angry about that one. Putting pictures into children's heads, regarding classical music. I ALWAYS saw pictures in my head when I heard classical music. My greatest amibition as a child was to make a cartoon to something by Tschaikowsky. We didn't have computers, or I would have.... We had such an argument about that.....

I didn't get it then, I do not get it now. They were brilliant. Needless to say, I gave the kids both of them as an Easter present, subversive as I am.... They were thrilled.

As mentioned below, I have this wonderful colleague. We both like musicals, so one of my main pleasures is sharing some of the things I have in my collection. She keeps telling me that one of her two daughter's major things is watching 'High School Musical', and did I want to borrow it. Somewhat reticent. And seemingly, this film caught or touched something in young people here, because they get on the cover of every youth magazine. Well, have been off on sick leave for two weeks and going up the walls for feeling useless, and whaddaya know, it was on sale at the crummy shop next to the tobacconists.' So I went and bought it just so I don't have to sit home and pity myself.

I needed something 'happy'. I can't remember when I last bought something from the Disney company.

It is very slick. Dance numbers very nice. But there is a HELL of a lot that bothers me about it. Sports are more important than art, or science. At first, at least. And at the end, it does not really get resolved. Winning the ball game is better than being an artist. Win the ball game and then you can do your 'art'. How condescending. That so sucks, I can't find the words. On the surface, it LOOKS like they are trying to support indiviuality, but underneath? You conform, or you don't get anywhere.

When the hell did Disney get so into brainwashing? And it is so subtle.

My high school experience was much different. I got so tortured, it was a nightmare... I was the geek.

Because I was 'different'.

Now my young neighbors think I am 'cool' Go figure.

Just the IDEA that they would think that they could get away with this shit is awsome. 'You just do your sports and win, and then you can be a fucking faggot artist, for all I care.' Well isn't that some kind of 'acceptance', hey.

It left me with an upset stomach. Pretty kids, but the message is the pits.

0 Responses to "DVD review. High School Musical"