what I forgot today....

For the first time in 38 years, I missed the New Year's Concert from the Golden Hall of the Vienna Music Association. It's always stunning, and it always ends the same way.... a da capo, then the sneakret national anthem, 'The Blue Danube Waltz'... they usually have world-renowned conductors, and the music is from the Strauss Dynasty. 99% of it, at least. It is shown all over the world, and it is a showcase of the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra. You can see it on PBS, if you have it on your system, I believe. It's been a staple of many a New Year lunch at my house, when things were good, and juggled the traditional Bratwurst, Sauerkraut, and fried potatoes for lunch. They were supposed to bring luck, or something. Maybe they did.... (shrug).

This year, they chose an Austrian conducter. He is 'cute', but can't judge from the clip... which someone took off a Czech tee-vee channel. The flowers in the hall are from San Remo, as always, and very beautiful, and it always ends with the 'Radetzky Marsch', which requires audience participation. This year's was ok. They kept cutting to a lady in red and a sort of Albert Finney as Hercule Poirot guy, and turns out it was the Sheikh of Quatar. The two people next to him were the President of Austria and his wife. The President has limited powers, but a check in the balance of power. The Chancellor is the person who would be equal to a US president. (It's confusing, I know, but the President is a mediator, and we have a good one.)

Judging from the ovations, I can assume the concert was very successful. So let's ring in the year with a march, hey.... right click for a full YouTube screen.

4 Responses to "what I forgot today...."

Anntichrist S. Coulter says
2 January 2011 at 02:10

Oh, yes, PBS is showing it tonight, and KNOCKING ALL OF MY SATURDAY-NIGHT BRITCOMS OFF because of it. Gee, thanks.

And no, I'm not a fan of Strauss or Wagner.

I'm glad that it makes you happy, but it'd bore ME titless. I'd be even happier if they'd resume showing the new "SHERLOCK", damn them.

RenB says
2 January 2011 at 09:31

Oh, dear, am with you on Wagner, would rather spend 24 hours in a dentist chair without novocaine, and, same goes for Richard Strauss. But Johann and son? You, darlin' lost your sense of romance somewhere. And I don't wanna know....

Sorry about your favorites being pre-empted, but it's only once a year. My favorites went awol after December 23rd, and won't be back till tomorrow. So I get it.

Terrible says
9 January 2011 at 11:55

"A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."

RenB says
11 January 2011 at 18:35

Umm who said that?

I like it, but it's sorta weird.