I never knew how sceptical I could be....

Oh yeah, it was another shit day where I only left the house for food. Five doors away out on the square, and feeling like I've been through a wringer emotionally. There is an e-mail I don't wish to write, because I have nothing to report. And some other issues. So I sort of run through things on my subscription site, either being bored out of my tits, or thinking WHA?

The 'WHA?' is the part when I realise I'm getting old. It's true. But we all do, every day....

Except... today I realised I owe a huge apology to Annti. Because she used to threaten me with Mormons at my door. Oh, we do have those neatly dressed, polite young men knockin on doors. Two showed up at Peter's and he let them in because I was at work and he was feeling really sick, but I couldn't be there. And they kept coming back of course, and I would come home and find their children's coloring book pamphlets on the dining room table. And no, Annti never sent them.

And I would ask, 'Why on earth would you let them in here?'

Answer: 'I was lonely, and they looked so nice.'

Uh-huh....

Well I was running myself ragged, and money had to come in from somewhere at that point, so what was I supposed to do? Be wired for sound all day for his edification?

On the other hand... my bio-Mom had her Jehovah Witness phase, and it got me curious. I would go to the cobbler as a kid, and yeah, there used to
be cobblers who repaired the holes in your soles if you were poor and couldn't afford new ones yet. He was a Witness, and would mournfully tell me we are in the end times, and the end was near, everything pointed to it. He was a nice man, and kind, but I thought he was sort of bonkers. I was ten. Good thing I didn't hold my breath.

Although I am agnostic, I don't believe in religion, I think they are harmful in the long run. But I did go so far as to attend a Witness mass rally in Fenway Park, and wow, that was a trip without having had a toke of anything. Except a cigarette way up in the stadium in the back row, and got looks that told me I was the devil incarnate. oooo.... yeah, that bad. They were such NICE little zombies.

And I thought they were the weirdest of the weird. Bar none. But nice.

Well one of the things I can see on my subscription site is 'Big Love'. And is about Mormon polygamists. Leaving the polygamy aside... what seems to be their core beliefs are so fucked up, and I thought Irish roman catholics had that prize, it sort of left me speechless. They take the prize by a mile.

So when Annti would go on one of her spectacular rants, I would be sceptical, and sort of shake my head, and wonder why it set her off. Now I know. So an open apology is due here.

This ties in to the election cycle, which never seems to ever stop in the MSM. Mitt Romney is a Mormon. And Mike Huckabee, a dyed in the wool Xtian who seemingly never fails to rant on gay marriage and say it leads to multiple marriages of every stripe, but is code for bashing Mormons, because he can't attack his 'religion'. That is sort of killing two birds with one stone, you see.

If Rick 'Sanatorium' Santorum decides to actually run, you have a trifecta of wackos. His thing is that if you pass gay marriage, it will be 'man on dog', the guy is a piece of work and looks like a minor mafia boss in Pittsburgh, or something. 'Family' values. His being taking his child's miscarried foetus home so his other kids could say goodbye to their sib, a fact he was proud of and often repeated. The man is insane, if you ask me....

Seeing religion so melded into politics is very creepy and unsettling. There is so much meddling that I find reprehensible, I mostly want to sleep till they all go away and wake up to find it was a dream. I want to find the rock they crawl out of and crush it with a pick-axe, spread a ton of salt on the site, and pray they would never pop up anywhere else.

And why in the world would Tom Hanks co-produce that HBO series. I sort of find it unbearable.

0 Responses to "I never knew how sceptical I could be...."