Ok, trivia time....

Daytime Emmy Awards were up on my pay-for site. Ninety minutes of my life I will never get back. For the past year, I've followed most of the shows out of boredom, because they are pleasantly distracting, so I thought it would be interesting.

Now I don't know how the voting system on this is, or who gets to vote for what, but wow... just wow. I would say some very talented people got robbed. In my opinion, only two deserved it. And one of them really disappointed me, because he's a pure Jeebus freak, seemingly. Nope, don't like that. He's on General Hospital, and is very good, but that acceptance speech? Gawwd help us all.

The other was Laura Wright, also of General Hospital, and she won over Michelle Stafford of The Young and the Restless, who plays a character I hate so much, I swear she must have met my bio-mom or my bio-mom has taken possession of her. I yell at both of them sometimes... needy, self-centered characters who tell themselves they are doing what's good for others, but are basically instant gratification freaks, selfish women who verge on the psychotic. So that was ok. Real talent.

The rest had me muttering imprecations. What burns me is the 'lurv' they show to that massive mess called 'The Bold and the Beautiful', Peter's poison. They got a best writing award? Really???? Peter and I used to roll our eyes at the repetitions, and he'd wave sheets of paper around and yell, 'You can hear the script rattling! God! This is for analphabets.' And I would say, so why do you watch it? 'The clothes are pretty.' And I'd bang my head on the wall. Figuratively....

The scripts haven't gotten any better. However. They awarded two this year, also to the team of 'The Young and the Restless'. That was deserved. Like my beloved One LIfe to Live, the story line is super-charged, it moves fast, you get thrown interesting plot twists, so yeah, deserved. Some one should trash the B &B team, if you ask me, they drive me nuts, but oh yeah, that is the only one I know which gets broadcast world-wide.... who have English or Spanish as a second language or something. I don't understand the fascination.

And yes it gets me right in the gall bladder.

The acts were horrible. Just oh-ful. There was a tribute to Oprah, and Gladys Knight? Well, I don't know what she's been smoking or drinking all these decades, but can't we just face the fact that her voice is totally shot? It's painful to behold. Celine Dion made it all about HERSELF, and I've not liked her since her Eurovision Song Contest days. So I'm biased about that. Las Vegas has RUINED Cirque de Soleil. The magic disappeared, and it was all tits and ass and pecs, or something, but nothing like at the beginning, where it was art.

The daytime tee-vee community showcases the charities they actively support, which was probably the most interesting part of the show. You learn about things you wouldn't know of otherwise and might be moved to help.

It seems unfair. ABC is killing off it's Soaps... for yet another food show, and a showcase for the mistress of the daytime producer. And are thinking of terminating General Hospital to give room for the ubiquitous Katie Couric a talk show. The three programmes have been running for over forty years, and I think it safe to say have been part of growing up in America for generations. You got sick at home from school? There was the sacrosanct part of the day you were to shush up, and your Mom watched 'her stories'. And if you were home for over a week, you could get caught up in all 'da drama'.

It's trivial, yes. Silly? Maybe. But for people with no access to theater or the arts, it was as close as they got to it, and there were many fine people who moved them to laughter and to tears.

Removing all that for 'profit' or 'ratings', or gratifying your spouse because you want to be powerful? I don't think that they will succeed in the long run. You don't run for four decades because you're producing shit, in other words.

Real fans are so angry... I think they'll provide some very negative consequences to what they are doing. I feel sorry they'll be gone. They were a part of the culture.

And a huge bit of American culture will disappear? Is it trivial? I do not know. But millions of people without access to anything else? That was their 'theater', their villains, and their heroes and heroines, role models, attitude changing shifts in mores and morals. I don't think that the movers and shakers really understand the implications of what they are doing here. It will be a cultural loss.

Trivial, right? Maybe. Maybe not.

0 Responses to "Ok, trivia time...."