Boring Sunday..... sundry things....

It's 'save as much as you can day'. So lunch was from the Turks across the intersection. I like a Lahmacun. Only € 2.50. Of course I mispronounced it for months without anyone correcting me. With the stress on the last syllable as I read it, but one day, I tuned my ear and heard the correct one. It's 'la MA chun'. It's fresh dough rolled out paper thin, with some sauce on it and freshly baked, then you get some kebap meat and salad stuff strewn down the middle with a dash of sauce, and it gets folded into a wrap. Very tasty. I like them better than a Döner.

There isn't any news to speak of on the major networks... everyone KNOWS that nothing ever happens, of course.

That we KNOW of...

There is a really cool series that comes up on my pay-for site on Sundays from the UK called 'Casualty', now in it's 25th season. It's sort of like ER, but throws some critical light on the NHS in Britain, and the stories seem very fresh and right up to date with current events. Interesting cast.

I caught up with two of my soaps which always seem to be posted last, which is aggravating. One is the US Days of Our Lives, which is 'da Ven's' poison of choice, and only watch so I can 'wind him up' about some of the characters on it. My US poison is One Life to Live which I can catch by ten p.m same day it airs, and is being cancelled... BUT... will live on, not on the tee-vee machine, but on the internets, last minute save, hey. At least the actors don't lose their jobs...

The other which turns up late is from the UK. 'Eastenders'. I thought it was just me, but I found a spoiler site this morning that was so snarky, I fell about laughing. It shocks the Brits, seemingly. And they said that this past week's story-line was probably the most perverse, perfidious ever in the series. The inhabitants of Albert Square in London are ALL certifiable in some way, but will agree that they are very entertaining. There is the skeletal faced Michael who I knew is sort of twisted, but this past week, he went so perverse and diabolical, I was spitless. It's the only show where I talk back to the characters. Not a good sign, but it means he's a fine actor. Better than a thriller, I tells ya... And one of the best ageing harpies I've ever seen. Sets my teeth on edge.

English is a living language, of course, and one thing I have been noticing for a while now is contractions have been going out of style in tee-vee scripts. 'Do you not understand', for instance. 'Have you not' 'Would you not'. It seems Dont'cha, Haven'tcha, Wouldn'tcha are out.... and I don't mind, it sounds better the new/old way if you ask me...

Slang terms in the UK slay me, find them funny. To abscond is 'doin' a runner'. For instance. 'Sling your hook' means 'get outta here'. If you're 'banged up', you're in prison. Colorful. Most of that is northern UK slang.

Whatever.....

It's too hot to think.

What I see of the 'culture' of politics in DC is so abhorrent, I would like to barf, and sometimes do. (Yeah, I have this regurgitation problem when I get upset..)

So... Just another Sunday... bo-ring.

I can still try to catch up with what all else is on the tee-vee-pc menu. Hot in Cleveland is suddenly on there. I'll watch anything with Betty White in it. It's cute. I tend to skip second season series. They can be as brilliant as they like in the fist, but the second is almost never as good... some get a big resusitation in the third, and become iconic.

Happily Divorced is on there. Fran Drescher of The Nanny fane. First season four episodes, and am wondering where it is going. Rita Moreno is always fun to watch, so will see....

Checked out part one of Harry Potter, The Deathly Hallows part one. And yeah, your eyes are SO going to glaze over. I wanted to catch up for the last one, which I 'might' see next month. It was an abysmally bad film. All build-up for the finale. The supsenseful scenes were so curtailed it had the 'feel' of hurrying it along, whereby the ones in the novel were so rich and imaginative, they could leave you breathless. I did not like having most of the color washed out for the entire thing. Too apocalyptic. And yes, have been re-reading it, because I 'might' go see it next month once the baby Muggles have gotten their fix. Saw a couple of clips on Huff-Po yesterday. More of the same, same director.

I would recommend the novels to anyone of any age. It's sort of like Lord of the Rings. You start and think, 'whaaa? This is for kids'. But it develops into something you never imagine it would have, and you get hooked on it. Rich themes. Nothing as it seems, and what you perceive is evil can actually be good. If J.K. Rowling never writes another word, her place in literary history is cemented in place with the great ones.

I think it's time for a nap... my fan is running and it is still thirty degrees in my apt.

Tja, Sundays.... and the heat fries your brain....

0 Responses to "Boring Sunday..... sundry things...."