Semantics again

Seeing as the news was disgusting as ever....

And not worth commenting on the amazing idiocy being commited in DC...

Was making a list of Yorkshire-isms have run across lately as I hear them and try to put them into context.

If you are 'winding someone up', you are provoking them to try to get them to be aggressive in turn.

If you are 'skinned', you are flat broke, not a penny to spend. Which seems to be my constant state of financial affairs.

If you are 'scabbing someone out', you are vilifying them in a really bad way.

A woman who is promiscuous in the extreme will be referred to by narrow-minded jealous women as a 'slapper'.

Everyone seems to be concerned with 'sorting' things.... making something bad right. Although I've seen that in UK personal ads in another context-- 'well sorted', meaning they have inner equilibrium, or in another venacular, have their heads together.

If you've messed up something badly, you've 'cocked up'. (which I find more humourous than the f-word version.

If you enter a pub after doing something that the locals disapprove of and they glare at you... you are getting 'the evils'. (Which tickles me as well... having received my share in my lifetime... but didn't have a word for it...)

And if someone 'tops themselves off''... well, they have committed suicide. I find that sort of, well, lame.

I had noted down stitched... but forgot the context. It's bound to pop up again.

So if you were to vacation there, some of the language mysteries would be solved for you, wouldn't they?

Well listen, it beats ranting on the current insane asylum aka Congress.... They really HAVE lost their collective minds...

I might have something interesting to see tomorrow... if I can get over the 1oo meters away from the house which I haven't acheived since April. We shall see.

0 Responses to "Semantics again"