Prime time Emmys? Really? Well maybe, but

I'm about to lay down a post that will sound so misogynistic, will have to apologise in advance, but it is how I perceive sound.

My site finally had yesterday's result show of 'So You Think You Can Dance' on. Have said below what I like about it, and it was eliminating two people, to get the remaining top ten. more on that in a minute.

The show is nominated for five prime-time Emmys in the dance category, which is fine, and Kat Deely was nominated as moderator.ess. Her voice is so irritating, I fast forward. Emmy? I don't THINK so... There are some women... I don't know what it is. They open their moufs, and I want to turn off the sound. There are also some men whose voices so irritate me, I want to throttle them, but usually drunk ones with rasping voices and damaged vocal cords, and they carry for a BLOCK.

But the worst is Mary Murphy on the judges panel, a former ballroom champeen with a face lift that has left her with a fixed smile that is scary, and is just a Tennessee 'bundle of enthusiasm'. And she squeals, and 'ya-hoos' till you'd think she was calling the pigs home, but it's all a facade. Her act is 'good-ole-country' girl and the epitome of the infantilisation of women in 'Murka, if you ask me... BECAUSE... if something really impresses her, she is well capable of modulating her voice, and giving very constructive criticism and being almost likeable.

Kat Deely is so superfluous, she grates on my nerves. And is often inappropriate.

In my student days, I would listen to AFN on the radio. Later, when I got to Graz, I didn't have a radio strong enough to pull it in, so I missed about ten years. Too many mountains between here and there. And one day, about ten years later, I did get a radio that could pick it up in the night-time. And I was floored. The TONE had changed. I explained it do Peter, and said, 'What do they think they are DOING? Everything sounds like Uncle Dudley's Story Hour. They're just dumbing them down....'

If you watch US series, what happens when mid-twenty somethings tell friends they get engaged? Scream like a fourteen year old and fanning fingers in front of their faces. Who the fuck DOES that? (Well, what should I know, maybe they do...) It's infantile behaviour. And people emulate it because 'that's what you Do...'

It isn't pretty, or worth emulating, if you ask me, and I never find anything funny about it.

As to Kat---well she's a six foot tall blonde Brit who is nasal and lets off suggestive adolescent stuff in her intros, wears heels so she can tower over everyone on the stage, and basically has nothing else to offer to the show other than looking like an over-thin Valkyrie popsicle with an annoying voice. Emmy? I think NOT.

As to the show... The elimination decisions have been fair so far. I've said I like the concept. Now that there are only ten people left, they are going to make them change partners to see how versatile they are, and make them do two routines per show, one with former winners. As I've said, I love dance, and they really put the contestants through a very strong repertoire of styles, challenge them. And mostly, it's a joy to watch. And the choreography is fantastic.

But I could really do without Kat and Mary when she is 'performing' and not being herself.

0 Responses to "Prime time Emmys? Really? Well maybe, but"