It's a Man's World....

(Good grief, how I am anchored in the Seventies, hey. That song just didn't want to get out of my head today....)

Someone from the local government was due to inspect Peter's living conditions yesterday. And he was waaay overdue for a shave and a haircut, so I carted him over to Mr. Enver. He'd been ill last week, and the shop closed.

Going there is a lesson for me every time. It is a little peek into a culture that is so foreign to me, that I just watch and observe. And occasionally get my hair cut. Today there were a mess of people there, just hanging out, mostly. It was absolutely fascinating. How they interact with one another. Of course I didn't understand what they were saying, turkish sounds like it has no consonants. Must be a difficult language to learn.

But from the gestures and facial expressions, it isn't hard to guess what the subject is. It is sort of like 'charades' for me.... It's this macho thing, but done with respect, and a certain sort of bantering, can be funny.

So they have this kind of bonding thing between them. And no, it is not gay. That isn't in their vocabulary, I don't think.... Enver is the second Turk who greets me heartily on the square if our paths cross.

Today, Enver asked me to explain to his 'friend', (and believe me, they are all 'brothers' in spirit), what the results of a medical exam were. I went absolutely pale when I read it. Bad news. He'd gotten a lung x-ray, and there were shadows in the lower half of the left one and he should see an expert, like yesterday. And I thought, 'How the FUCK am I supposed to tell him this?'

Tja. Unnerving, and mine aren't so good right now. But I gathered all my courage, and told him in the best way I could. Macho, not a flinch.

So I guess I got 'points' in their world for being honest. It is a strange world they live in, but full of heartfelt friendliness, and caring. What I do not like is that they treat women like shit. Breeding mares. But if their Mommies bring them up that way, who is to blame?

I threw up, later. Having a middle-sized nervous breakdown is no fun.

He treats Peter like he would others, and is very careful. And is very kind to him.

The other side of the coin... you know?

And the gubmint person seems to be ok. So something is going forward. All this beaurocacy is really getting me down.

0 Responses to "It's a Man's World...."