Even biological preconditions never stop you from getting older, you know


Genes betray you. Sometimes. And if you get close to pushing sixty, time to re-evaluate. Yesterday, I got confronted with reality---twice. So if you keep your head open, and interact with everyone around you, you half-way keep up with the times, and boy are they accelerating. And in my head, I am sort of thirtiesh.

So on Saturday, was minding my own business at the market, and this campaign worker for the election asks me do I want to take some balloons home with me for my grandchildren. (And I thought, 'WHA?') But I remained sort of civil. 'I don't even have children, Mister, let alone grandchildren....'

Later that evening I went out and got cigarettes and a hamburger from a little all night stand. Which is where I learned I wasn't just having a bad hair day. Lots of kids from the disco there, and this young african guy suddenly takes my shoulder and says, 'you go up front, old man.'

He was really only being polite, you know? So I said, 'Hey, just because my hair is grey doesn't mean my brain cells are. You just get your stuff.'

Getting old sucks. Now where is that barf bag again?

0 Responses to "Even biological preconditions never stop you from getting older, you know"