The Producers...


Was the first Mel Brooks film I ever saw, in 1968. I was totally unaware of what was about to happen and be unleashed on an unsuspecting world. It was an assault on everything and anything considered politically correct. It starred the never-to-be-replaced Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder, in what I believe was his first role in any movie. He was so neurotic, he was a joy to watch. It was about a would-be, hoped-to-be producer who is an accountant, and has to check a nefarious dastard of a producer, who takes him under his wing. And they get up this plan to make a flop. So they get the worst, absolutely worst musical script from a Nazi, and hire the worst director on the face of the earth, the worst actors, and then sell 100 percent of the supposed gains to all of the backers. It ended with a song and dance number, Springtime For Hitler'. I was fucking shocked, being only eighteen years old. Because it made me laugh, and feel guilty about laughing over it. It really stuck in my throat. Brilliant. It became a cult film later and wasn't a hit.

Sometime in the early 80's there was this art house cinema here, and they did a series of Brooks retrospectives. I dragged Peter to see it. The end of it? He FREAKED. 'You can't DO that!' And I said, 'Well, he is entitled, I think.'

I think it was his next film, the chaotic 'Blazing Saddles' that rocketed Brooks into everyones's hearts. It is the silliest movie ever made. I love it.

A few years ago, he made The Producers into a musical. Seats 100 dollars and up, and it was a smash hit. And now it is a film. With Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick in the original roles, and the lovely Uma Thurman. It is even more tasteless, but funny. (Ok, I admit it, I like tasteless funny, and it is a very fine line to walk.) He added a number with old women as backers doing a dance number with walkers, you know the frame things? Tap dancing with them? Only Mel Brooks would come up with something that tasteless--and hilarious.

I waited a long time to get this one, because I had a barf taste in my mouth as far as what I had seen of Nathan Lane so far. Which was only 'The Birdcage'. He was bad. Take my word for it. He was horrible. If anyone has seen the incomparable late Michel Serreault in the original French version, BRILLIANT, they will understand what I mean. And THAT man could do ANYTHING. So I was sceptical.

He was more than a worthy follower of Zero Mostel in this. My mouth was AGAPE, hey. That good. Matthew Broderick did ok with the security blanket thing, but he's no Gene Wilder. Will Ferrell was very funny. And the finale gets topped with the incredible number 'Heil me!' (Which is a double entendre, can mean 'cure' me.) I went into pure shock. It was so daring, on the one hand. But, in the end, I think it is all to the good to take one of the worst people in history and make them laughable. As above, it is a very fine line to walk, but in this cased it worked both times. Recommend it highly.

I mentioned my nice colleague and how I lend her my dvds when I get a musical? Well, I wasn't sure this time. The finale is on You Tube now. So I called it up, had explained what it is about, and said, 'Ummmm are you SURE you want to borrow this one? It is sort of crazy.'

She was fucking SHOCKED, I tell you, SHOCKED: 'How can anyone make FUN of Hitler?' And I just said, 'Well, he is entitled...'

So she is going to borrow it. But her daughters do NOT get to see it.

Fascinating, that forty years later, it still shocks people.

Yes, it is crass. It is sophmoric. But it is also brilliant.

And I still like the original. It was a masterpiece.

Springtime for Hitler, in-deed. Gawd.

0 Responses to "The Producers..."