It is fun watching the Olympics....

Over here. Really.

I so hate the reporters, but this year, the Germans are OUTdoing themselves... nationalitstic? GIVE me a BREAK, hey...

And they whine so much... It is wonderful. I love it when they whine.

But this year, they topped themselves, really. Peter and I cracked up over the narration. There was the ladies long street race on bicycles. And of COURSE, the Germans were the favourites. It was hell in a pouring rain, and I said, 'Oh! look. An Austrian in the forefield!' They were off the charts for 'no, this can't be happenining.' She came in fourth. Which is horrible for an athlete, but those are the breaks, you know? And the GERMAN moderator was just off the charts for stunned, and comes up with, 'But she was BORN in Germany.' Uh-Huh. The German ladies placed 21st and 22nd place.

Any of youse guys want to do a U-turn and claim Hitler was born in Austria? (I have seen the house, btw. not remarkable in any way...)


Whelp, they are hungry for medals, the Germans are. At home I turn off the sound, and try to concentrate on what is happening.

What I hate is how they build up their athletes beforehand, 'we're the BEST' and then tear them down live on tee-vee when they don't do what they were expected to.

It is really disgusting.

Having been there once before, all I know is that it isn't about NATIONS. It is abo0ut people. People who have sacrificed a lot to train, and try to win, and it is an honour to even participate. That is how they see it, and I KNOW this. For them, it isn't about country, it is personal. I know that too. Anyone who gets that far is a hero in my eyes, and should get respect.

But the reporting.... oh my. You either laugh or throw up.

Mostly I laugh. They can be so absurd in their nationalistic ardour, I crack up.

And no, the Austrians aren't any better. I just can't get the channels because I need a new box since they went to digital. My ABSOLUTE favorite was the late Sigi Bergmann. He had me in paraxosms of laughter. He'd go NUTS over the physical qualities of men, that it was oh-ful. But it was never nationalistic...

The Germans had a woman doing the narration during the kayak stuff today, and she was so extreme., I said, 'ohmygod... That is Sigi Bermann's ghost speaking...'

So yeah, watching the Olympics can be fun.... From afar....

0 Responses to "It is fun watching the Olympics...."