I ated me an ostrich steak for only five Euros...

tuns out it is kinda creepy meat, and THAT is what you get for being curious, hey.

It was a left-over at the supermarket from the horridays.

And what did I get? Beef liver. It has that taste, underneath. If I had known that, I would have gotten something else, but am a curious peroson.

Now I know.

So here is what you do with venison. Because I had that taste on my palate long after the dinner and that means it was especially good.

First you have to start with a 'sofritto'. That, in this case, consists of the root things chopped up fine like carrot, turnip root, celery root, parsley root and so on. And you have to be patient, frying them in a bit of olive oil. It makes the base. I learned this from a gifted chef in Taormina.

Then you braise the meat---un spiced. Both sides. And then, Preciouses, you covers it up, and some delicioussess juices comes out. On low heat. And after about one half hour, you starts to spice it, oh yes. You add a bay leaf--one if big, two if small. A bit of salt, not much. Some pepper, pinch of majoram, oregano, tiny bit of thyme, and let it stew a while in that. Then comes the MASSIVE ATTACK. You press an orange into it, scrape a little of the rind and two cloves and a couple of cardamom pods into it. Add a bit of red wine, and let it simmer.

If it is Bambi's father, they are tough and need the long cooking time.
If it is Bambi's mother, the cooking time is less. ninety minutes to two hours does the trick.

Add a little water if the juices go down.

And now you know...

0 Responses to "I ated me an ostrich steak for only five Euros..."