They did it with scuba divers

This event was scheduled for six p.m. It is someting groups of divers do 'for fun' in Advent, I learned. And they gave everyone candles for peace. It rained like crazy. I figured it would. When the morning sky in the post below looks like that, it is always a harbinger for bad weather later in the day. It was cold and all I saw when I got there were some candles on the rocks along the riverside, and an Advent wreath out in the rapids, but the wind and rain soon blew the candles out














Looked a liittle lonely out there, and I thought, someone is pulling our collective leg here. Then I learned that the actual event would be at seven pm, because all the scuba divers were at Mass nearby. (It's a church-sponsored thing, you see...)










So I tried to kill some time and finally get a half-way decent photo of the Island in the Mur at night from the riverbank.










Once the divers finally got ready, they started by floating little candles for peace out into the river.










And just when I was sort of disappointed, and wet despite the umbrella, the whole group went into the water, and all of a sudden, things took on a different look.










And that is how they set the river on fire. Magnesium flares.










And then there were more and more.










So it was sort of cool-looking after all. Then I went home and made a very strong pot of hot tea.

1 comments:

RenB says
9 December 2007 at 21:43

Forgot to mention I had a fantastic place down on the riverbank, but then some security assholes came and kicked us all upstairs. So I was lucky to get a spot on the bridge away from all the oompa-pah music. Tja.