Legends....

Woke up to learn that Walter Cronkite passed on yesterday. For people of my age, he was the news. He had integrity, often some wit, was truly a journalist, and shaped the knowledge of everyday events for generations of Americans.

Since a lot of people are sharing anecdotes and memories, here is one of mine which illustrates that he also had a fine sense of humour. He did a documentary in and about Vienna in the early Sixties, I think it was, which was shown here on local television as a re-run some years back. Probably in honor of a round birthday, or something. And throughout the documentary, he kept showing Viennese people on the streets, and everyone seemed to be carrying briefcases.

He found that 'mysterious', and kept asking, 'I wonder what is in all those briefcases..?'

At the end of the hour, he finally revealed what was in them. Most people were using them as lunch boxes. It was mischievous, and far funnier in the watching than in my relating it. But I liked that aspect of his personality as well.

R.I.P.

0 Responses to "Legends...."