Funny, it didn't LOOK like Afrika

Everything was festive, with names of people reserved for 'so-and-so' and family.... It all looked very festive. This was the foyer in front of the huge hall. Peter had a very confusing day... and wasn't very well. We were down in the smoking room with corfee before the festivities began. Whoa, he was in his own world.... It was the saddest Christmas I ever experienced. He took a nap beforehand, and I had me some chat with some of the personell downstairs. It wasn't very positive.


Then we went into the big hall which is usually for dining, and it was what you'd expect. Angelic little kids playing block flutes, readings of sentimental things about the 'meaning' of Christmas... and it was so packed I was claustrophobic. Besides which, Peter got instantaneously ornery and muttering nasty things about everyone there, and attacked Ksenja, head of the nurses aides, that I had to get him out of there FAST. He was shockingly rude.

Ksenia is the very attractive woman in the brown Dirndl to the right of the picture. Well, it was supposed to begin at three, and began later, and my bus left at four. There were buffets set up at stations along the corridors on both floors, and it all smelled very nice. But I had to leave after confining him to his room for a half-hour. I had a glass of hot mulled red wine, which has never been my thing, but must say, it was the best I've ever tasted. Not too sweet, full-bodied, the right blend of spices. Must say, they didn't cut on quality there...

So I had him accompany me to the door, and was polite, wishing everyone Happy Merry, and all that. And trekked home. My older Bus driver wanted to know how it had been, and is a very kind person... and embarassed me saying how wonderful he thinks it is that I go there all the time. I told him about the 'Afrika' thing, in a way that made him laugh, and he said, 'Y'know... people like that don't really KNOW, and they reach a place where they are happy. It's just hard for others to watch.' And I said, 'I know.' He meant it to be comforting. Café Purgatory was REALLY hopping, and loud and raucous. In the end, I preferred sitting outside. Just as I got home, it began to rain, three doors away from my entrance, perfect timing. And the phone was ringing. I missed roast pork, dumplings, and sauerkraut, Peter told me, and he said it was very good. And, of course, the ubiquitous cookies, which are so delicious, and come in so many variations, you could believe you died and landed in dessert heaven. Said he was tired, and it had been strenuous for him, so he was gonna go to bed. Below is the sky when I left the house. It varies so much from visit to visit. Today it matched my mood. Blue. But it sure didn't LOOK like Afrika.....

0 Responses to "Funny, it didn't LOOK like Afrika"