Hmmmm.... Gamlitz and Leibnitz

Was down there yesterday. Everything decorated for the season... This morning, on the telly-phone, he didn't remember I was there yesterday... And yeah, he's got the look, all right... I said I'd been there. He said, 'You were with other people.' I said, 'We were in the smoking room, and there were two odd ladies in there, and you thought one of them was a man.' 'Oh... I forgot.' And then he cried. (That was actually funny, because the lady in question had hair that was so similar to his late Aunt Hildegards, I just corrected him, said, 'Peter, that's a woman. Think Hildegard.' And he busted up laughing.

It turned into a long day, as my ex-colleague Elke asked me to visit for the pre-horridays, and spent a few hours, and there were delicious cookies, and some nice chat about all sorts of things, and her mother is so genuinely nice and funny. Her mother and father have one half of the house, and she and her family the other... it's split, but each has their private sphere, and it can be seen often here, but I don't believe I've ever seen that arrangement in the US.

Elke's Mom had come over to say hello, asked if she could stay and chat a while, which sort of surprised me, as we had met under circumstances that were embarassing for me. (It was the night I was put in lock-down, and I needed to get word out that I was incommunicado, and her first question was, 'Can you please tell me what the hell is going ON here?' Not exactly the way you wanna meet someone's Mom... yeah, embarassing...)

After my day in Gamlitz, I actually wanted to unwind, and be engaging, and not be this depressive, pathetic person, and ask about how their horridays would be, and talk about anything, anything but Peter. But she wasn't having any. Uh-uh. She got right into it.

And as in any house in the countryside, and as in the US, everyone is in the kitchen, which is the most homey place in most houses. And Elke had told me that her mother had 'accompanied' HER father on the same journey Peter is on, so she had very direct, and very kind questions, drawing me out.

As I've often said, the first thing I look at with people are the eyes. And saw kindness, and concern, and interest. So that was the first topic. I showed her the above photo, which looks nicer on the camera screen, and she said, 'Oh, he's very handsome. How old is he?' Bowled me over inside.

Not that it's unusual here. People know, you don't have to go around trumpeting anything out, and fight like Don Quixote going after the windmills. It is never up for discussion, people accept others' relationships, but they take interest if things go very well, or maybe bad, and are basically non-judgemental. It was like having a nice warm bath of care and concern.

And then we got into local politics... because the post office is cutting back and closing down post offices all over the place. My bus stop is at the post office in Gamlitz, and as of yesterday, it is defunct. The post office also has a bank function, and people pick up their pensions there. So on the way down, my hippie chauffeur dropped a woman off at the school stop, and this guy comes up with a thick slavic accent, and asked him where and when he could get a bus to Leibnitz. And my guy says, 'Five to one, across' the street.' Whereupon followed a sort of 'Who's on First' routine that had me in inner hilarity. Till the Slav guy says, 'OH, you mean 12:55?' 'Right. And just so you know... in southern Stryia, we say 'half-one' for 12:30.' I bit my knuckles to keep from laughing outright.

Well, the closure is sort of devastating for the village. They closed down the post office in Wagna next to Leibnitz as well. And got 'partners' so you can pick up your post packages at gas stations and grocery stores. (Is this beginning to sound somehow familiar?) But not your pension. So they have to go to Leibnitz. Now what happens to the old and handicapped who can't afford to go the 36 kilometers to get their check? They can have it sent on to their lockal bank... for a fee. (Getting MORE familiar?)

So the closures were a topic, and I told them about a woman in the smoking room, who Peter thought was a guy, and she was going on, she's one sour lady... 'Typical politicians, election time "Wau, Wau, WAU!" (dog barking) And after? NOTHING!'

Elke's Mom burst out laughing over that. And then we went over media, and my fascination with US politics, and I explained that I mostly watch... because we're gonna get the same in a somewhat weakened form. They're already cutting some medicines which have to be paid in full, the expensive ones.

Heard a lot about that down there as well.

And they understood that as well. And we really got going on the cuts here. This recession is a bitch.

Elke's Mom had to leave for her 'prayer meeting' at the church. (RC) I think she goes for the company, and probably just some good dish. Her humour is just too mischievous. She was gracious, and very kind.

Her father is a mystery. And I KNOW he doesn't like me. Oh he's polite, but he goes and hides. But not alone. As soon as I show up, he drags his son-in-law out of the house, some sort of chore to be done, they are always renovating and improving. It happened in autumn, and again yesterday... so pressing hey, and the devil or 'the Krampus is there'. Her husband kept popping in and out of the kitchen after that listening, grinning at some of our stuff, but he is a quiet guy, handsome, and he and Elke really fit. He must have been a stunner. But am so beyond that.

Before we knew it, three hours flew by, and I had to get my connection, and they drove me to Kaindorf next door, because the train station in Leibnitz is a huge construction site.... at least they still believe in infrastructure here. And the STAIRS, I get vertigo, like panic attacks in Leibnitz, just to get out of there.

Kaindorf is 'safe'. Nice and solid, you go down some stairs and through a passageway, and up another, and whaddaya know... five minutes later the train came and whisked me back to Graz.

And when I got out of the car, it was the usual 'Happy Holidays' thing, wishing good things, and 'Thank yous' for the invite and hospitality... And Elke's husband said, 'Thank you for coming to visit.' And it was honestly meant.

So I guess that was my Christmas.... early.

It felt very very nice.

Admin in Gamlitz... ok, they were good, concerned, and ok with everything.

But I will NOT get maudlin, and into the spirit. Basta. On the other hand... it was good.

0 Responses to "Hmmmm.... Gamlitz and Leibnitz"