Da Tee-Vee, and other absurdities.....

The local Telekom talked Peter into getting a 'box'. 65 channels, ooooohhh...

ZDF Theater channel. Ok... Like that one ok...

BBC world news.... ooooo. (Yawn)

BUT...they have the english language version of Al Jazeera. Uh-HUH. And of course I had to take a look, being curious....

Peter didn't notice which channel I had clicked into. And he kept saying, 'Hey, I didn't know that...' It was about tent cities under the highway in New Orleans, and how the developers are pushing people out of Harlem. I'd read about these problems, but no other channel ever brought it live into the living room, you know?

He asked me since when did CNN get serious. And I gave him my dirty grin, and said, 'You're watching Al Jazeera, my friend. Now isn't that interesting...'

'Islamists! Negative!' Oh, he went off the charts....

And I said, 'Hey, so far they haven't shown anything I haven't read about on the Internets, but are never shown on Western news stations. Except the internet sites who discuss these issues are from Americans themselves, so what IS your problem?'

He backs away from that like a spider in front of water.

But I can still trick him. Yesterday he was in the WC, and I switched channels, and there was a very illuminating piece about what goes on with pressure on the journalists who host the presidential debates. A jaw-dropper. And he said, 'Hey, this is interesting, do you think that can be true?' And I said, 'Probably. But you're watching Al Jazeera.'

He went nuclear. I said, 'Listen, facts are facts, it just depends on the slant, and all we get is the one slant, so I see nothing wrong with hearing from the other side. If you know where they are coming from, what the fuck is the problem?'

Yeah, am a nasty grouch. But I sorta like Al Jazeera so far... Na ja, 'like'.... not. But they put out things the others aren't showing and that you read about.... They add some balance....

If he were younger, he would probably want to sue the Telekom for exposing him to that. Or having it in their offer. All he has to do is switch channels, but OH, I forgot... He only knows how to turn it on and off. Gimme a break, hey.....

At least I had me some 'fun'. And it was interesting.

0 Responses to "Da Tee-Vee, and other absurdities....."