Oh my... funny incident at the tobbaconist's today...

There was a young man before me asking for a sort of sieve for his pipe, and the owner, usually a very funny guy, and an expert when it comes to pipes and fine cigars, was stymied. What in the world would he want a sieve for? Never heard of such a thing....

And THAT was when I got a big wide grin on my face, and had to turn away and pretend to study the magazine rack.

And bite my tongue, hey...

And the owner kept asking where the young man had seen anything like that, because no one had ever offered it in any catalogue he had for tradespeople, and what was it good for anyway. He was so fucking bewildered.

And of course I knew what the kid was after. He finally bullied him into saying, 'Look, I got this pipe from a head shop, and there was a sieve in it.'

Bingo! I was so on target with that. But refrained from guffawing out loud.

The owner said he didn't have that merchandise, and the kid left, and I burst out laughing.

I said I had known right away what the kid was after, having committed a youthful sin or two in the Seventies, and that didn't go down well. But I found it very funny nevertheless.

He went cold, and said he considered that stuff abominable.

Which amused me all the much more. There is a latin saying, 'nomen est omen'. Meaning names are an omen, mean what they say. Well, the owner's family name is Kink. I am not shitting you. (There is even a Kink Street near the square, have no idea why, or who the person was that it got named after, but go into paroxysms of hilarity every time I see the sign. Must have been an important person, for all I know.... Oh, just googled him. He was a knight and did a lot of stuff for the waterworks.)

So all I know now is that I will never address him as 'Mr. Kinky'. If nomen est omen, whatever it is lies outside that scene....

And on that note, will dissipate into hilarity.... Ach, what would we do if there weren't a Quentchen (itty bitty bit) of Schadenfreude in our lives. I ask you.

Tja, on the other hand, I guess you had to be there....

0 Responses to "Oh my... funny incident at the tobbaconist's today..."