Oooo... got a bon-bon on Oscar day!

My site posted 'The Kids Are All Right'...

On this one, I have to say I watched it from a predjudicial point of view. But there was so much for me to like about it, and never a false note. It's about a lesbian couple with two children. The kids go and find their biological donor father, one of the women sleep with him, and nearly break up the family. No happy end, but no tragic one either. But lots of quiet insights into a same-sex couple and their marriage, and the problems that ensue. And could have just as well have been about any marriage. It was quiet, hardly anything over the top, but fascinating, and I could relate to so much of it.

I could relate to Annette Bening's portrayal. She was amazing. She has one of those faces.... she doesn't have to SAY anything, it all plays out in her expressions, and is crystal clear. And Julianne Moore was stunning, as usual. They drove the film, and it really wasn't about 'da kids'. If they don't get awards for the film, well... I guess that the general public isn't ready for that yet.

But I really liked this film. And I could so relate. But I think that anyone in a long term marriage or relationship would relate to the story. There was nothing 'shocking', or dramatic, or odd about it. It was about two people, and how they keep going on going on. It could have been about anyone. And that is pretty friggin' remarkable. In that sense, I would rate it 'daring'. Sometimes quiet truths say much more than turning things into psycho stuff.

Mark Ruffalo as the interloper was also interesting. I won't forget his behind for a while.... Stunning. But that was just eye-candy.

So... now am half-way up to speed, and can rant when the Academy does the dirty this evening and yell at my pc.

And the popcorn ran out. I would recommend it... to anyone who isn't a knuckle-dragging Neanderthal.

Just read the Indie Awards were yesterday, and La Portman won again. She didn't convince me.

0 Responses to "Oooo... got a bon-bon on Oscar day!"