Sometimes people leave you... half-way through the wood....

My friend, my dear friend 'Giselle' passed away on the 20th of this month. I had been afraid of finding her, to tell the truth. Because I was afraid of what I was going to find out, and I feared the worst.

Losing one's only child when pushing ninety is bitter, very bitter.

And it was as I thought... she had the strength to bury him, but went downhill afterward, and was put in a senior care home I hadn't heard of. She refused to eat or drink, being torn out of her home, and died on October 20th.

That sounds like her, all right. She was stubborn, and very funny at the same time, but she never gave an inch if she believed anything. And I am one very fortunate SOB to have known this fine woman, and carry her memory within me for as long as I live.

Thanksgiving and Christmas have never been the same since she couldn't get out of the house. For me she was family, and she loved being with us, and she made me laugh. And I loved delighting that woman.

I am going to ruin my keyboard, because I am getting a delayed reaction, and beginning to cry. And flooded with memories of a wonderful person who has now left us.

Am glad I didn't find her... it would have been pitiful in comparison to the lady I knew....

Update: I called her closest friend in Frankfurt. Charlotte. She just lost her best friend after over eighty years. She is going to be ninety on July 4th. It was a sad telephone call, and also funny at times. Talking about funerals, and methods thereof.... And I discovered that Giselle is gonna be burned, and her ashes set in the family grave, because there isn't enough space there to take another full coffin.

Somewhere.... up in infinity... there is a very angry Giselle, because she wanted the whole thing, the coffin, being put in the grave, and so on. I think it is horrible not to attend to the wishes of the dying.

0 Responses to "Sometimes people leave you... half-way through the wood...."