My BAD...

For those of you who didn't know who I was 'talking' to below, well that must have seemed like a crazy idea... and what with the way prices are nowadays, and all that... well it was bad judgement clouded over by early teen memories.

Ah, the Sixties, hey. One day I was taken aside and asked, 'Hey, ya wanna go to New Yawk for a cuppa corfee? That's all we'll be doing, but we're goin' for corfee.' And I thought, 'Riiight.... this is the craziest thing I ever heard of.'

But of course I jumped at the chance. What an adventure for an early teen! And we drove down there, a six-hour road trip, and we had corfee with his in-laws in Germantown, never saw a glimpse of Manhattan, but it was all fine with me. I was in New Yawk, and had a cuppa corfee. And then we drove back, another six hours... And I thought, 'what a crazy, reckless, adventurous thing to do...'

So they have always been that for me... doing the unexpected, never afraid to try anything new, and so forth and so on.

But I'd hardly published that below, and only did it on the Blog so I could put in some music samples, when my cynical adult thinking cap flew off the dvd cabinet and onto my head. Why would they go all that way for a cup of coffee? And my oldie self said, 'wake up, RenB, there was probably a crisis with her 'rents, one that could only be resolved in person, and they took you to be a buffer, or something.'

I hate my adult cynical thinking cap. I usually try to hide it behind the dvd bookcase, because I don't like it.

And the fact of the matter is.... I don't CARE if that might have been the case. The fact is, they left me completely oblivious and gave me an adventure I will never forget. And THAT was the important thing. I could cite numerous examples of being used as a buffer where it was obvious and ugly, but why go there? No, it was perfect for me, no matter what the real reason was.

You might think I'd have been insufferably priggish on the following school day. 'Whatcha do?'

'Ah, nothin' much... went to New Yawk for a cuppa corfee.' That would have been a conversation stopper. Butcha know what? I didn't. It was my sneakret, my adventure, and I kept it inside and treasured it.

I think the only time I ever mentioned it was when Katrina was closing in on NOLA, and I begged Annti to get in her truck and drive to Atlanta for coffee explaining why it made sense and citing my cousins' example. I never even told Peter about our 'fine adventure'. It's always been mine to savour. And now it isn't any more, if I'm putting it out here.... And thank them for doing something so special for me then, and so many times since.

So, with those pictures in my head, it seemed important to just goad them into action without thinking about costs, and that they probably don't have much to do there any more, now that her parents have passed on... But we all love Sondheim's music, and I meant well.

That's what happens when you become a Broadway musical queen. You get all 'excited'. And then reality bites.

I shall keep my adult cynical thinking cap well hidden, meanwhile.

Thinking caps sorta suck.

0 Responses to "My BAD..."