One ton of weight off my shoulders, another to go...

Ok, yesterday was Gamlitz. I had a mess of stuff on my mind, and clinked out last night. Travelling sort of overloads my senses as far as input is concerned. Normally I am just home in my apt., and I don't bother with anyone. Sort of depressive, and trying to find out what is best for the next step in getting the other ton of cares off my ageing shoulders. These public benches attracted my attention a few weeks ago. The metal plaque basically says, 'Your mayor wishes you a good rest.' This is in Ehrenhausen, btw. I have never seen anything like that. Talk about self-promotion. My smile of the day....

Pfingsten was last weekend. Pentecost. These 'roses' bloom every time at Pentecost. They are hard to grow, had some, and it takes five years before they bloom if you plant them as seedlings. Actually, they are of Chinese origin, and related to the chrysanthemum fambly.... or so I have read.... There are pink and white ones, and the scent is better than the best perfume, believe me. I felt a little home-sick for my used-to-be garden.


This is another thing that I have a spleen about, btw. They fascinated me back in Salzburg in 1972, and I STILL don't know why it shouldn't be standard in the US. And they aren't even expensive. Comparatively. I didn't get it at a good angle, but it is a convex mirror placed at intersections where people who want to drive into a major road can see what is coming, traffic-wise. These mirrors enable the people coming out of a side road to see what is coming traffic-wise from both sides, and the people on the main road see what is coming out of the blind side. I would think that these mirrors have prevented many accidents and deaths, and it just irks me that it wouldn't get 'taken over' and used in the US. It isn't as if it were a billion dollar solution to anything for any one place there. It mystifies me.

So I got down there, and learned that the State has given permission that he can stay there. He sees it as a death knell. I see it as I know he is in very good hands. The staff is competent, friendly, no-nonsense, and put up with his occasional stubborn tantrums. Gawwwd, what a relief. These past months have been just brutal. Not knowing what is permanent or not. I thrive on constants, y'know? I hate surprises, So I went to café Purgatory at the station, and surreptitiously snapped this photo. It is not a good photo. But you see those two kids at the back? (and there were more people, absolutely raucus and rowdy...) They only had eyes for one another, and they were beautiful. The one on the left chained smoked and chugged down his beer. His friend was quieter, more reticent.

It was like seeing a flash-back to Peter and me, maybe a bit older than they were, but the mechanics were the same. They were drowning in one another's eyes, it was sort of beautiful. And they were drop-dead handsome. They made me sad. Turned out we were all waiting for the same train to Graz. (Chuckles here....) They got up and spent over ten minutes tucking in their shirts, adjusting their clothes like fashion models, with their Dolce and Gabana belts, tailored stuff, and the waitress came out and said, 'You are two very vain roosters.' Sometimes, things crack me up for hilarity inside. I don't know if she knows them well or not. Doesn't even matter. I just made sure I didn't get into the same car they did. I was sad enough as it is.

The other ton on my small shoulders is getting Peter's stuff out of his apt. this weekend.

And OH YES, Charlotte is coming to celebrate her 90th birfday with us. She has this idear... she will pay a taxi to take him from Gamlitz to Häuserl im Wald, a restaurant up on a ridge. (Picture me making the sign of the cross in silence fifteen times... because.... it ain't gonna happen.) The bathrooms in Häuserl im Wald are in the basement, with very steep stairs. Just to begin with.

She mails me often, means well, but NO. So I waved my conciliatory flag.... we all go there, and I would find a restaurant that is just as good. So the best thing you can do in that situation is ask the locals. 'What is the best, very best place in town to celebrate a 90th birfday?' Unanimous decision. Gamlitzerhof. It's on the main square, if you can call it that.... I had Peter out yesterday, and we scoped it out. Good weather? Fine. Bad weather? No way. They have three steep steps, and no handicapped ramp. Nothing down there does. So I could get him into the mayors' place, but the cuisine isn't top notch. All the other places have four to five steps to even get into... big ones.

So, Preciouses, I went into my Laurel and Hardy number when we got back, because I had asked the assiistant director for advice. You have to do it subtly. And I explained, and I said, 'over fifty per-cent of the shops in town aren't accesssable for handicapped people. I'm not complaining, or anything, but it can be frustrating. And it isn't about Gamlitz, gawwd, GRAZ crows about how hanicapped friendly they are, but it is a joke..... I should know I'll have to figure something out.'

Preciousses... Juliana was on the phone to the mayor before we even got in the lift. She can be awesome.

I guess it is best not to push people, you know?

They take pride in their place, and that is a good thing. And now that I have been a total bastard, well, it was for a good cause....

0 Responses to "One ton of weight off my shoulders, another to go..."