There are days you should just NOT get up.....

Yesterday was a classic. Yup. I conducted a series of telephone calls, and learned some cold hard truths. As in: I do not have any friends here. Isn't that a kick in the ass...

A lesson in semantics: there is a word for friend. Most people have a select few whom they can depend on. All the rest are 'acquaintances'. So I am an acquaintance. If I visit, they like my company, but that is all.

The coldest, hardest conversation was just about that, and was explained in one of the crassest ways I have ever experienced. But it boiled down to that. I'm an acquaintance, but I am not a friend. Explicitly said. With the addendum, 'I would hate to be you.' It was like being in an ice storm, yet so calmly said, and brutal. Hard truths can be like that.

The other conversations weren't so 'fun'. Circumspect, but it was the same message underlying them. The reason for the calls was actually trying to do some good. I wanted to offer some things Peter has before his place gets gutted next month, and would rather see someone have things for free than have the State take them....

No takers, so I guess it will be just gone, without anyone knowing that it all meant something once.

It's sort of funny, you know? I grew up 'poor', but never felt like that. And when people were getting started, family and friends came around, and gave them the necessities like a chair,a stool, a table... whatever, and helped out. Seemingly, that isn't necessary among the people I know. I guess I was doing a throw-back to what I grew up with, and wanted to pass it on. It wasn't appreciated.

The photo is of some irises I saw on Tuesday. Tried out the macro setting. I had some in my garden for two years, but I didn't like them so much. The blooming time is very short, and then you just get this salad greens and they look like weeds, or something. (shrugs)

0 Responses to "There are days you should just NOT get up....."