My Dad-----

When he turned ninety, he passed his test for a lengthening of his driver's license, bought a new car.... NEW car.... and said what the hell, by the time the license was going to run out, the car would be paid for and he wouldn't renew it.

And I thought, 'hokay, that is a relief'....

Yesterday he proudly told me he passed the test again. Got his glasses adjusted, put on his veteran's cap, and took the test. I didn't know he HAD one, and never saw him wear one, EVER. (He was of the opinion that every little bit helps.... and that the guy who tested him was a Viet Nam vet.)

He has never been involved in an accident. (knock on wood)

But he is the only one of two persons in the world whose driving style fucking scared me. Slam it to the floor, and brake hard at stop lights. (The other was so reckless, he landed me in a brook. Obviously I lived to tell the tale....)

So, yes Dad, am very proud of you, and sorta kinda glad you passed your latest test. I know how hard it is over there if you don't have your own wheels. And I hope you changed your driving style along the years.... And no, I never told you, but it made me very nervous.

And Dad? I KNOW you read this, so let me tell you one thing. I went out onto the square today and bragged. It's true, I did. Until now, you were a hero. Today, you have become a fucking MYTH.

Millie, my flower vendor who remembers you from your visits here nearly wet herself when I told her. Of course I told her about it in my own style, without exaggerating.... She found that extraordinary, funny, and said you must be a very clever person indeed.

Still, I have some concerns.

Take good care on the road, ok?

2 Responses to "My Dad-----"

Terrible says
13 March 2009 at 18:32

Congrats to your dad Ren! From what you say though I'm with you in hoping he drives more safely now!

RenB says
14 March 2009 at 07:27

Thanks, Terrible, will pass it on. He is bound to see it anyway. (smile) And has said that there is a lot more traffic nowadays so he stays at 30 mph in the city....