Tja, Paul Harvey died at nintey two days ago....

The AP story in the link above is horrible. Paul Harvey was so much more.

I could grind my teeth about some of his more sentimental pieces, and so on, and actually, I never heard him 'sell' anything.... But he was so much more that what the AP put out.

I first heard him in the early Seventies, and could receive Armed Forces Network on the radio out of Munich when I was in Salzburg. He had a very distinctive voice. He was never really grating on the nerves. And his mix of what he wanted to deliver for news always had something off-the-wall for moving, or funny, not a horror story, and humane.

I was never a huge fan, but found him a bit fascinating. Which sort of cancelled out some of the slant on other opinions he would give.

He was legendary, not just in the US, but also world-wide. Seems to have lived a very fulfilled life, so that must have been very nice for him.

Larry King pulled out an interview in tribute to his passing, one from 2003 when Harvey was 84. And he looked so fit and fantastic, and was so lucid, and could tell a story like few people can.... I even watched the full hour with all the fucking commercials. And learned that Larry King seemingly isn't named that. Andrew Ziegler. That story was fantastic, and I didn't see the zinger coming. About a young broadcaster vegetating in Fla. and he gets a call from someone named Boom-boom, and an order to speak for some young Italians, a charitable event. And it was sort of weird, but he did, and after, Boom-boom wanted to give him a huge wad of money, and Ziegler said, 'No, don't want it...' And Boom-boom asked him what he did want, and Ziegler asked 'What can you offer', and the guy says, 'Someone you don't like, maybe??'

And turned it into a compliment on King's interview style. So yes, he wasn't just a news reporter. He turned it into art. And had a wonderful, original 'voice'.

RIP.

2 Responses to "Tja, Paul Harvey died at nintey two days ago...."

Anonymous

The work ethic of Paul Harvey and his integrity as a person was way above the norm. Paul Harvey was one of my favorites when I was growing up. Paul Harvey was a one of a kind and he will be missed.

RenB says
3 March 2009 at 15:55

Thank you for that Vegas Driver.

I vented because I thought he deserved SO much more than what the AP wrote.

I have seen people commenting on his passing because he was in some way connected with their lives. From every part of the political spectrum.

And EVERYONE mentioned his vast integrity. To which I would add basic decency and respect for people.