Who dat?

Anyone who knows me will tell you I could give a rat's ass about American football. I have never understood the game completely, nor particularly liked it since my brother got all his teeth kicked out playing it, nor ever seen one of those gladiatorial bread-and-circus events, even on the tee-vee.

I can understand why America goes hyper for excitement over it, though... But only after seeing how Europeans seem to lose their senses when the soccer World Cup Championships take place. They are even more insane, and the whole thing takes longer... You would think the world had stopped, or something. For weeks.

And I wish anyone the experience of being on a night train from Rome for twelve hours in the night after the final World Cup game back in the 70's, sitting on your luggage near the WC door and it was so overfilled, people were trying to sleep on the corridor floors, while everyone was screaming and going through all the pivotal developments in that series with one another. You want a nightmare? Get caught up in something like that. It will give you nightmares for weeks.

However.....

This Superbowl meant something more political, and saw some good background on what it meant to New Orleanians on the nightly news show last week. And when the insidious Joe Scarborough was rooting for the Colts, then I KNEW... The Saints would win. And they really did. I still don't care about the game... at all. But I do care that it will give people in NOLA a morale boost, and I know that the team members do a hell of a lot to help the city.

And so it made me very happy for them.

1 comments:

Anonymous

uh.... except that Joe was rooting for the Saints.

Tweet from his son- "This weekend was like a rollercoaster for me in a few ways but it had more highs than lows hope this week goes quickly though. GO SAINTS!!!!"

and Joe's response- " Go Saints, is right! A great game. Talk to you soon!"