Oh, this is just too rich... my one thousandth post!

And whaddaya know, it was to be that they finally did something, and the House of Representatives passed the Senate Bill and the fixes yesterday! As Rachel Maddow is wont to say... 'Isn't that a coincydink...!?' Yeah.... sigh...

Listen, it isn't to say that I am not happy about that, I am... And I think it is a wonderful step forward compared to what has been 'normal' up to now.

And I think I know how progressives in America are feeling this morning. Sort of like having gone fifteen rounds with Mike Tyson wearing cotton candy gloves. Something like that, at any rate.

As people who follow this piece of insignifcance know, I started revving up, writing on the topic around nineteen months ago, and I knew it was going to be an ugly fight. And it meant much to me to try to be a small voice of reason, using my experience.

And in the background, I signed the petitions I felt I could legally sign, and tried to make my voice heard on the subject. The fight took so many twists and turns, it could make you dizzy, but tried to keep my eye on the prize.

Last night, I couldn't bear to watch the live feeds on the process on the internets. And whaddaya know, this morning I got up at 4 a.m. to see what had happened, turned on the internets, and 'no server'. There was an interruption in service, happens once in a great while, and one of the lights on my modem was blinking....

I KNOW that they do that occasionally to upgrade something when they think everyone is sleeping, and not disrupting their service, but my eyes were like slits full of anger, and I said something very nasty..... and 'Do you have to do that NOW????'

So I turned on the tee-vee, which is something I usually never do, and got the 24 hour news channel in Germany, and they were running some odd deep sea docu, but there was a chiron with running text below. And so I learned it had passed.

And it was a great relief, somehow.

All in all, I think it was a terrific fight. I was so very pleased to see so many people from so many walks of life really wading into the fray with so much passion, and good arguments, and trying to make a difference in the outcome. That was wonderful, and renewed my belief in 'the American spirit'.

The other side against any reform were dismaying, and since they had no good counter-arguments, turned into bullies. That wasn't good for anyone. So when I speak of 'Murkins, I do mean the bullies, and people who are not quite right in their heads. Just to clear that up...

I think I wish to say, some of us had a dream of what the perfect health care system would look like, or could look like. And fought to make it come to pass.

So yes, the passing of the Bill was a very good thing, and if there was one lesson to be learned, one has to be pragmatic about it. And that sometimes... most times... you have to make concessions to even get on the path you want to go on.

So yes, am happy it got that far. But I don't think this is the end-all and be-all regarding the subject.

And I am disgusted with the behaviour of some of the tea-partiers yesterday. One does not spit on, and denigrate people in Congress with words I wouldn't ever think of saying. I could call THEM a number of things they wouldn't like to hear, but I haven't. Because when it comes to confrontation, I would think.... waste of time.

0 Responses to "Oh, this is just too rich... my one thousandth post!"