I found out something very odd yesterday

About the Austrian justice system. Won't wrap my head around this any time soon.... It had to do with Werner's case.

He brought over the court papers and asked me to read them. Basically, the case is closed, and Aranka is not worth believing.

But one sentence jumped out at me.

The reason she wants the case reopened is that the defense never got to look at what the DA had for evidence.

And I said, 'Du, Werner.... what in fuck hell is this about????' (Yeah, I know, am subtle....)

It just made no sense to me. I know about the US justice system, and we all got weaned on it and know about rights, and so on....

But it seems that in Austria, it doesn't go so far as being guilty until you prove yourself innocent, oh no... But the defense doesn't get to look at the evidence the prosecutors have in hand, which sort of shocked me. What sort of justice is that, huh?

I still can't wrap my head around this. Nope, no way, no how. You need an even playing field. All cards on the table if you please...

Ok, as far as I can see, the courts ruled that Aranka was lying, and nothing she said is believable, which I know for a fact. And she seemingly wants to re-open the case, because the defense had no recourse to looking at the DA files.

Except.... They were never asked to and would have opened them if a request had been placed, which didn't happen.So....

Why did they do that in the first place?

Mystified....

0 Responses to "I found out something very odd yesterday"