Just one more comment about 'freedom' in America...

It was on an August night, just before I left. Hot, sticky, dog days.... And I couldn't sleep, and my mind was like a hamster in a wheel, going through the 'what-ifs'....

And I decided to go up to a park about two miles away, walking, and just get through my thought dilemma. About half-way there, in front of the armory, a police car pulled up, and they asked me where I was going. And I honestly said, 'I can't sleep, am just walking up to the park and back to get myself tired enough to sleep.'

And they said, 'Oh no, you're not. Get in the car. Where do you live?' I told them. They drove me home, let me out, and told me to stay there. It was a threat.

If I had been a different color, it would have been a different story, but it was bad enough as it was. But they made up my mind for me. I was channeling Janis Joplin. Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose.

Because we lost it, all right. How depressing.

0 Responses to "Just one more comment about 'freedom' in America..."