Stranded in Werndorf...

Or why you should not play 'follow the leader' when the routine is not routine, and then get your nose stuck in a book.... Since it is Friday, was on my way to Gamlitz. I had an hour and a half to get over to Peter's way across town, and then to the train station for my 11:00 am train. There are days when the astrological constellations regarding public transportation are just the pits. I spent all of ten minutes getting his mail, packing a few more of his clothes to take piecemeal down there, then rushed back to the bus, transferred to the tram to get to the train station and buy my ticket five minutes before the train left. Talk about cutting it close. Did not like the stress, but getting off for the next transfer, I had my 'moment of Zen', as Jon Stewart calls it, crossing the little walking bridge behind the train station, and heading toward the main square behind that church tower on the upper left. Peaceful, and went so green in a week, it was nice to contemplate for a moment....

Spotted some nice apple blossoms right near by. At least I think they are, they always bloom last in the Spring..... Got to Gamlitz, and we had a very heavy discussion. Frau Lübbe, who is the assistant director of the home, said she wanted a word... as she usually does every week. Peter told me meanwhile she had asked him if he wanted to stay there for good. And he was willing to, mostly.... The only thing that bothers him is that it is 'so' far away, hey. My pragmatic side took over, and I said, 'if they make that possible, I think you should stay. And what is the difference if I go to your apt. every day, and most of it you are alone, and there is no one to help you if something happens? There is no one to help you there in an emergency. I haven't seen one negative thing here, I really haven't. And you know I will travel down here once a week and spend several hours, but at least I won't lie awake nights wondering what is coming next, and know that you are being well cared for.' I think he felt relieved about it. But it did take some discussion... And I guess he will acquiesce. I saw Frau Lübbe just before I was leaving for my bus, and the topic was that, of course, and she wanted to know about his telephone bill. And that HE had asked if he could stay on there, not the other way around. She is young to my aged eyes, but very competent, no-nonsense, but friendly, and I like her. And I said, 'If it is in any way possible, I would hope that he could be able to stay here, because I KNOW that he would be in very good hands.' Which seemingly surprised her.... (I don't know what the hell sort of firey gargoyle I am supposed to be....) And she quietly said, 'Thank you.'

Before we had that exchange, I had taken a sniggarette break outside, and looking at the entry, got a full flashback looking at the reflection in the entry door. René Magritte, Belgian surrealist. My absolute favourite painting of his is 'empires of light'. It was just a painting of a house at twilight, the lamp in front--gas-light, I believe... and the dim blue of the sky above. I first saw it at the Peggy Guggenheim museum in Venice just after she had passed away in the late Seventies. Her palazzo on the Grand Canal was beyond belief for art from the 20's and 30's especially, but she collected right up to her demise. And I thought, 'Oh, Magritte'... so shot it as an hommage.... I couldn't quickly find a link to what I mean, but it struck a chord in me, looking at that. So I just shot it.
Oh, just found the link to it here. It is far more beautiful seeing it 'in real'...

I sat out on the terrace waiting for my train, and whaddaya know... there was a problem on the tracks, and it would be twenty minutes late. So it finally arrived, and got on, and whaddaya know again... We were only going to Wildon, five stops up the track, and have to take busses. (Groans all around...) So off we went to Kalsdorf, and here is where the 'follow the leader' syndrome kicked in. As we were all on a train heading north, I just followed the crowd, and got on the train, which announced there would be another 20 minute delay, so I continued reading... something really hilarious... And then it went into motion..... going in the wrong direction! At which point I thought, 'Gawwd, is this day going to ever END? I wanna go HOME, Kruzifixsakrament!' And I jumped up and asked loudly, 'Wait, is this train going to GRAZ, or not????' Well, you have heard of the word 'Schadenfreude', I believe.... it means taking delight in the hurt of someone else. And the entire car broke up laughing. I 'should' have transferred to another bus, you see...

I will spare you further embarassing details, Precioussessss.... eww. The next stop was Werndorf. And had to ask my way around, found the correct platform, and they kept saying that the planned return train would be twenty minutes late. End of long story. The train DID arrive, and I got home an hour and a half later than I should have, and the stores had closed, so I had't eaten anything all day. Swell, just swell. Maybe relying on public transportation can turn into a good diet, you know?

So how was your day?

0 Responses to "Stranded in Werndorf..."