Oh gawwwd, egg on my face, hey... but funny,actually...

And I am fucking getting old.... Really.

I mean, it is etiquette to pick up the phone when it is ringing off the hook, and first see who is on the other end. Except.... No one ever calls me except Peter as a rule, and usually when I have just gotten back from his place, have just gotten in the door, and the phone is ringing.

So of COURSE I assumed it was Peter. Picked up the horn and yelled, 'Just got in the friggin door, and have to hit the WC, because OTHERWISE, as Margaret Cho said, 'Oh my gawwd, I'm gonna shit my pants!' In German, of course.... And nope, not gonna teach you that one.... (grin).

Looonnnnnng silence on the other end. And then a woman's voice, totally uncertain what kind of psychopath she had just reached.

I died inside. Truly. And was a bit shocked. And embarrassed to death. Said, 'Oh, please excuse me, I thought it was someone else. I am SO sorry...'

She was too shocked to even chuckle. She wanted to know if she could send me a catalogue. 'What is it about?' They sell fresh frozen foods. 'I live alone, and am sort of a non-cook, but thank you for asking, that was very kind, and I wish you a very nice day.'

I am willing to bet she was SO glad to say thank you and hang up, you could palpably hear the relief. I really do hope she got over the shock. And turns it into a hilarious story about the crazy man over on the square in the city, and regales her colleagues with it.... once she catches her breath....

Lesson? Listen first and find out who is calling before you go off the charts for needing to do your business. End of sermon....

Update... I told someone in Berlin about this, and he hadn't heard of Margaret Cho. Instant fan.

0 Responses to "Oh gawwwd, egg on my face, hey... but funny,actually..."