Oh... I thought we had reached the high point of the ice saints....

It has been raining cats and dogs, and cold. If you have a garden here, you do N OT, repeat NOT plant things that can be killed by frost for you being over-eager in wanting them in your garden.

The ice saints are cruel... And the worst one is Sophie.... yup, cold bitch, Sophie. So today was really cold, and rained like hell. And checked the calendar and googled.... It wasn't...yet...

Die Eisheiligen:
Andreatus – 10. Mai
Mamertus – 11. Mai
Pankratius – 12. Mai
Servatius – 13. Mai
Bonifatius – 14. Mai
Sophie – 15. Mai



It is only Servatius... whoever the fuck HE was... Sophie is on the fifteenth!

Gawd help us, hey... (btw, I get a kick out of the Pankratius, as horrible as I am. He probably pisses on the world when we aren't looking.... like last nite. Rained cats and dogs... just sayin'...)

So am going to put on my anti-rheumatic underwear, and go sleep.

And watch it youse guys.... Sophie is on the way, and she is mean. Don't plant your gardens yet, in other words... if you are in northern climes, I mean...

Update: mentioned this to the couch critter this a.m. and told him to close the winders, as the ice saints were still about. He looked askew at me and said, '"whaa?" Had never heard of it before. And I said, 'Whoa! Are you telling me it takes a former Murkin to tell you something every Austrian knows and invented?' He was chagrined, I tell you, chagrined....

2 Responses to "Oh... I thought we had reached the high point of the ice saints...."

Terrible says
14 May 2009 at 16:01

No don't think I'd heard of the Ice Angels before. But of course the Old Farmers Almanac lists a latest frost date. And I DO have a huge tomato plant that I brought inside last fall that does need to go out soon. I figured I'd better wait another week though. Did have to scrape frost off the car windsheild yesterday morning and the morning before!

RenB says
14 May 2009 at 19:04

Terrible, I think it adds up to the sme thing, you know? Instead of Farmer's Almanac, they have these weeeiiird things that are sound in reason, but sound a bit odd to modern ears.

I used to looove working in my tiny patch of garden, it was so relaxing. And it was a nice little patch of garden. But was always careful about putting some things out before the awful 'Kalte Sophie'.

Leave it to people to have males bring in the cold front, and then blame it on a woman as high point of the season....

Just sayin'....