Tomorrow...

is the fourth anniversary of what I call 'the day of infamy' which happened in my lifetime.

Hurricane Katrina hit Louisiana and Missouri, and up to 1600 people drowned in New Orleans, in an unprecedented act of negligence on the part of the US government. Whose officials had the unmitigated gall to suggest it was their own fault, because they were poor, Black, and didn't get out of town. Those people just can't get enough of blaming the poor for mishaps... oopsie...

Cold-hearted bastards and bitches who seem to come out of some parallel universe and torture us all.

Those of us who have some sort of conscience, I mean...

I remember this day so well because I was corresponding with a woman there, half-way between NOLA and Baton Rouge. And got a US weather report on-line and it was all in caps, which is screaming, on-line.... So I cut it, pasted, and pleaded that she get OUT of there, and go to Atlanta for a corfee or something. She thought I was being a drama queen, with the caps, and all, but that is how it was published, not my doing.

As it turned out, she turned heroic, got a mess of donations, and spent thirty some odd hours bringing supplies to the refugee places people had fled to, and injured herself.

So I have a very intense emotional and personal connection to that event.

I do NOT want to get into the egregrious, horrible things that were said on the right about the people who died there. I'm not sure I could stomach repeating what they said at the time, I would throw up. But that was the day I knew, the America I had grown up in had died for good.

And it was the worst feeling I have ever had.

Early this morning I saw that Greg Palast has a new film up, four years after, and how the City of New Orleans doesn't want their people back, because they are poor.

You can start HERE.

Everything about this entire story SUCKS.

Not the documentary, but how it was reacted to at the time.

And I still feel ashamed on a personal level, that my former country let that happen. Yes, ASHAMED. And I think that should be shared by anyone who considers themselves American.

So tomorrow... stop for a moment of silence, and think of someone there, whomever, up in their attics, with the water rising higher and higher... till they drowned.

Without the government doing anything constructive to help them.

Because THAT was the day America died...

Happy anniversary... NOT.

0 Responses to "Tomorrow..."