I was out on the square this morning....

Still having a core of bubbling lava inside of me (read anger).... gawwd, some people can get me into that mode, and thank gawd I left that place....

and I ran into a former neighbor in the Mühlgasse with his son Elias, who has really 'shot up' as we say when kids grow fast. So he wanted to know about Peter, of course, and how he is doing... (not so hot), and I recounted the events of the past couple of days because it is very much on my mind...

And Elias suddenly pipes up with 'Ninety Four? NINETY FOUR???' (Elias is about eight years old...) And I said, 'Yes, he is, and even got a renewal on his driver's license this year. Kids here don't know the word, but I could see he was thinking 'awesome!'

And I said at one point, 'my family really doesn't like me much.'

And again he pipes up with, 'Why don't they like you? I like you.'

He has hardly exchanged two words with me since he was a toddler. Which floored me.

And is extremely bright.

And I hesitated a split second.... and said, 'Well, I like you too, Elias. Families can be a bit complicated, you know? Things can get difficult.'

And left it at that.

It was just a moment out on the square, going to get the bus.

I have always thought that Elias is going to grow up and be someone special.

0 Responses to "I was out on the square this morning...."