Well, looks like the haters won again....

In Maine. It was so close.... And the governor there really put it all into perspective... it isn't about 'marriage'. (God forbid I would have ever had that in my head... eewwww...) It was about upholding the 14th ammendment.... that everyone is equal under the law.

And no, I am not going to go ON here. Approaching the big Six-OHHHHHH... and discovering that my body wants to rebel against me.... my days of activism are sorta over.

I was just sad. People shouldn't be terrorised all their lives for stupid things that are horrible. Whether it was the now 'car guy' and OH high school football hero who sat behind me in homeroom and kept flicking my ear... hard... and whispering to me that I was a faggot....

It was humiliating.

(I later heard there was a rape thing in the football locker room, and the school was abuzz... but can't confirm it. I steered so clear of them, I was in outer space----in my head.)

Or judging you for what you are perceived to be before you even know who you are yourself.

So... another loss. And the Maine governor was on Rachel Maddow, and was believable in backing the No on 1 vote, even tho he had been against the idea a few years ago. Cool guy... he made me even believe him.

So yes, it made me very sad indeed. So many people put all their work into wanting to avert the outcome that has come to be. But they had a very formidable adversary... The Catholic Church. Where the FUCK did they get over one million dollars to oppose it?

Last time (CA) it was the mormons, now them?

Na ja, we are all just gonna haveta suck it up and choke on it, acidic as it is.

The Washington State thingie got approved. Gays can marry, but no benefits that heteros have, but HEY, what progress. And friggin' Kalamazoo passed a non-discrimination act! Whoo-hoo! And a couple of openly gay mayors got elected.

It's progress.... but for someone who grew up under repressive circumstances... and waited and waited for 'change'... that isn't enough I wish for people to grow up and be who they are, and be accepted for it, without the stigma, without the denigration, and just be themselves without fear.

There are days when I fear that it won't come to be... the right wing backlash is so vicious right now, hmmm...

I wish those people pain.

Peter's foot has begun to stink. He has an open wound on his good foot, he doesn't get it attended to nearly often enough... and it can really get 'ripe'. In the sense, you want to throw up even if you are a smoker, and toss your non-existant cookies. That bad.

And when I have to take him downtown, or to the supermarket, it is like running through a bastinade, people hitting on you. I waa in the supermarket this morning, looking for a soup, and this woman I have often seen on the bus made a very denigrating remark about Peter and how he 'stank', and about people who do not wash themselves.

And I said, 'What did you say?'

'Oh, him. Disgusting. Doesn't wash himself.'

And I said, 'His foot is decaying, it is gangrene, and yes it smells bad but he washes. And you should stop and ask before running your mouf.' (Oh yes, close to becoming an 'Oldie', and am already practicing.' It was so impertinent....'

I can't do the tone in fonts but it was really scathing. And she went into Kabuki, deflecting what she had said, and it was sorta horrible.

And we got up to the counter, and the 'nice' cashier went on break, and the 'bad' one took her place. Sabine. She is a young version of AM.

Twice I have gone through THAT gauntlet. She took out an air spray and nearly gagged, being very sensitive in the nose, you see. And sprayed it all over him.

That woman belongs in the back room doing audits where she can't smell anybody.

I hope she dies and goes into a hell where everyone stinks and she will suffer eternal offense of her olfactory senses. Armpits, crotches, back-door farts, whatever.

And I said, 'You know what? I am not going to subject you to this... Let go of the cart, and we will go to Billa.' That store is about three blocks away, and I have respiratory problems, but we got the shopping done.

I have NEVER been so angry.

But there is a parallel here.

Gay people get treated just like that in the US.

The principle is always the same, always.

Being 'different'. There are many ways to be 'different', believe me.

How to tie this togehter? If you are gay, you are different. If you are sick, you are different and a pariah, and it just goes on and on, unless you confront them and tell them to get off your back.

When they tell you you literally stink.

So the defeat of the Maine vote sort of hit me. And they have one hell of a good governor.

Cleve Jones summed it up well today. He was a figure in the film 'Milk'. And turns into an activist in the film. He still is, and was on some shows today. And is still carrying on the meme... if you come out, people won't be so against you because they know you.

Maybe I should do something for elderly people. And the predjudices as above, and just go out and get them.

In the end... it is the same in principle

0 Responses to "Well, looks like the haters won again...."