I was just messing about today,

and thinking about my friends who are going off on vacation, and realised... they didn't KNOW that one of the most gifted people ever was on the season five of Desperate Housewives. Lily Tomlin. It was just a small role, but I got nostalgic....

I saw her in my home town, and she blew me away. She is one of the most talented women I have ever seen. And was no holds barred, she was amazing.

And since 'da girls' keep telling me they are addicted to the series, I thought it would be good to let them know who they were looking at in her newest incarnation as the booze-guzzling, cynical, leather-wearing sister of Mrs. McClusky on season Five.

So I went to YouTube, and pulled up a classic clip of her doing Ernestine the Operator. (Da girls are fifteen and eighteen, so some others wouldn't have been appropriate.) In Germany, there was a spin-off, called 'Klimm-bimm', and it was sucessful, but hardly what 'Laugh-in' did....

Well, there is a classic out there, her being Ernestine, and driving Cher absolutely crazy.

I explained what it was about, and let it speak for itself...

It is fun to take a look back, once in a while....

Although other times not. Mitch Miller died recently at 99 years old. I thought he was already dead hey, 'Sing Along With Mitch'. I learned that he was an accomplished oboeist, was in the orchestra on the first tour of Gershwin's Porgy and Bess, loved jazz and especially Mozart, and his crazy show was not really hoke. I'd had no idea.... He must have been cool. Odd, he had Johnny Carson singing in his gang, and 'follow the bouncing ball'.... This was in the infancy of tee-vee.... Most of you will not remember it, but I do....

So just for the fun of it, let's take a look back at more 'innocent' times, and visit 'Ernestine'. When there was only Ma Bell and SHE had 'da powa'....

0 Responses to "I was just messing about today,"