On censorship....

One thing to add on all this rigamarole, and disgusting thing of controlling what you read.... I was looking for a specific article I read years ago by the late Kurt Vonnegut. It concerned his book
'Slaughterhouse 5' being burned and banned in upstate New York. And how he felt about it. He was sad about it, to say the least...
.
For those of you who don't know... He was a POW held in Dresden in WWII. In a slaughterhouse. He survived the fire-bombing of that city, which was only full of refugees, and was a pure act of revenge for the bombing of London. It was horrendous. From what I have heard, that was unimaginable, and I guess it was the best he could do. It felt downplayed in comparison to what I have heard since.

(Odd that Dresden was one of the first cities that corporations poured tons of money into after the fall of the Wall.... And Prague... Hamburg was second to that for pure horror back then.... the asphalt burned away, not to mention houses and people.)

Slaughterhouse Five is not my favorite book by Vonnegut. I loved 'Breakfast of Champions'.

I never felt he was able to put Dresden into words, and I sort of know that feeling....

But no one should have the gall to burn or ban that book.

I found one link that was illuminating on Google. It is here.

And one more thing... I was more or less accused of plagiarising a friends' words yesterday. I don't know what the hell is going on with her. I did explain that I was unable to put her words into the comments section, explained that it was from her, and that they weren't my words.

I don't see what the difference would have been if I had been able to get them into the comments, or on my front page, really. I do not lie, and I do NOT steal....

To close... we have a saying here... 'burning books is the first step toward burning people'.

2 Responses to "On censorship...."

Anntichrist S. Coulter says
1 February 2010 at 01:28

I never accused you of plagiarism, if you go back and read what I actually said.

I own my words, and I control how they are used, whether in context or out. If I'd WANTED to be in a post on your blog, I'd have asked for that.

YES, it was a long comment, but I broke it up into FOUR PARTS, and fucking Google wouldn't let me fucking post it THAT WAY, EITHER, so I figured that YOU COULD, as I kept getting those "bad choice" or what-the-fuck-ever messages. Maybe I should've taken the hint there and kept it to myself.

There's a HUGE difference between being in the comments and on the front page, and don't play dumb like you don't know.

RenB says
1 February 2010 at 13:42

Hmmm... responded to this, but it got eaten.

I TOLD you I couldn't get it where you wanted it.

So I put it on the front page.

The few people who look at this piece of insignificance KNOW that I like and respect you, and I explained.

There was no ulterior motive, I couldn't find another way to get it out there because I respected what you had to say, and wanted to share it.

Am not 'playing dumb'.

When you say I am using 'your words' in an inappropriate sense... That is sort of insulting. And comes close to misusing what you wrote, which was never my intention.

After your remark about my somewhat long-winded post pushing YOUR stuff down the page, I had thought it only fair to put it on mine when there was no alternative that I could find, and push MY stuff down... I found the content important.

And no... I do not see much difference between comments and something on the front page.

I am not being disingenouous here...

That is why there is a bar to scroll down, and if I like a blog, I do that till I get to read where I left off.

I guess it is a matter of how you see it....