I just learned.

That Alfred Hrdlicka died....

He was a sculptor, painter, artist.

In Vienna. He was so provocative.

He always said things weren't supposed to be 'pretty'. They were supposed to make you think.

I think one of the most provocative and wonderful things he created was a monument on Albertinaplatz, in front of the famous museum, and underneth which were the remains of the daed, who were killed by the US in WWII.

Of the elements he put up was the 'street-washing Jew' with barbed wire over it. (so tourists wouldn't sit on it...)

And yes, the Nazi's actually did that.

He always knew how to make people uncomfortable.

I was there shortly after it was opened. And got into a horrible controversy, because, I wasn't gonna let anyone do me in on feeling guilty, because I wasn't even born when it happened...

It got pretty crass....

I think we lost another great artist....

0 Responses to "I just learned."