This is sort of trite, but just popped into my head, on my bus ride home today....



1968, and it was a memorable film, and a huge hit... 'Cool Hand Luke.'

And for some reason, that one line became unforgettable to me. 'What we have here, is a failure to communicate! Whoever wrote that should have gotten an Oscar, just for that line...

I know, I know... it was fraught with stereotypes, and so on and so forth, and nowadays, it really wouldn't be politically correct, or probably any good...

Oddly...

I walked out of my workplace one day some months after... and Paul Newman was standing at the bus stop. I couldn't believe my eyes, hey, and thought, 'What the fuck hell is Paul Newman doing waiting for a bus in Manchester, fucking New Hampsha.' ???

So I stayed circumspect, and observed. He had to have been the most beautiful man I have ever seen.

Even better off than on... those eyes...

Now, in New Hampsha... people don't go rush a 'star', and make them uncomfortable, at least not back then... It was on a big four-lane street, and young people across the way recognised him, and started yelling, 'LUKE! LUKE! LUKE! and he grinned ear to ear, a bit bashfully... Then a big black limousine pulled up, and Joanne Woodward was in it and they got zoomed away. Turns out he had been up there, doing some prelims for the presidential primaries....

Back-room haggling, I expect...

I just wanted to share that... it isn't every day you go out to go home and see a huge movie star...

But that isn't what this is about...

'What we have here is a failure to communicate.'

And what we have now... is more than a failure to communicate. It isn't about North or South or East or West.... It is about all the 'cowboys' who dig in their spurs and are just ornery.

And stubborn... hmm... who does that remind me of?

After spending a morning at Peter's---it just popped into me head... right.

He can be so off the charts for irrational, I wouldn't even mind 'teaching him a lesson', and on the bus home I was thinking... 'what we have here... is a failure to communicate', and not in a good sense.

And the Rethugs are the same. Exactly as assinine, exactly as stubborn, exactly as selfish... it is sort of incredible.

Things change... but they don't really.

0 Responses to "This is sort of trite, but just popped into my head, on my bus ride home today...."